Asahikawa (Japanese旭川 市, - shi) is a Japanese city in the sub-prefecture on the island of Hokkaido Kamikawa. It is the second largest city on the island after the capital, Sapporo.
The city is located away from the nearest coastal river of the same 116 meters above sea level and about 60 km. The river was named by Ainu Chiu Petsu ( dt wave flow). However, this was as Chup Petsu ( Sun River ) misunderstood, so that he was called Asahikawa ( Sunrise River ). Near the 2,290 m high mountain is Asahidake.
The climate is cool temperate monsoon climate with continental trains. Winters are cold and snowy with temperatures in January is -4 ° C during the day and -13 ° C at night. In summer it is around 20 ° C (25 ° C daytime, 15 ° C at night) quite warm. In addition, then is also monsoon season, until September brings some heavy showers or thunderstorms mainly of July. For this purpose, the humidity is high and leaves it partly be quite humid.
Like most cities in Hokkaidō Asahikawa is very young. The place was only appointed on 1 August 1922 with the city.
About 15 kilometers south-east of the city lies the Asahikawa Airport.
- Train: JR Hakodate Main Line
- JR Soya Main Line
- JR Sekihoku Main Line
- JR Furano Line
- Doo - highway
- National Road 12
- National roads 39, 40, 233, 237, 333, 452
- Asahiyama Zoo (旭 山 动物园)
- Yasushi Inoue Memorial in honor of the writer Yasushi Inoue
Economically significant is the wood processing.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Kazuhiro Fujita ( manga artist )
- Yasushi Inoue ( writer )
- Yumiko Igarashi ( manga artist )
- Kiyomi Katō ( wrestler and Olympic champion )
- Abe Kobo ( writer )
- Michio Mamiya (Composer)
- Miura Ayako, writer
- Noriko Sasaki ( manga artist )
- Shinji Takahira (Sprinter )
- Yoshie Ueno ( judoka )
- United States Bloomington, since 1962
- United States Standard, since 1987
Adjacent Cities and Towns
- Kamikawa ( Hokkaido )