W. Jasper Talbert

William Jasper Talbert (* October 6, 1846 in Edgefield, South Carolina; † February 5, 1931 in Greenwood, South Carolina ) was an American politician. Between 1893 and 1903 he represented the state of South Carolina in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Career

Jasper Talbert attended the public schools in Greenwood and the Due West Academy in Abbeville. After he graduated from the Erskine College. In the final phase of the civil war he was since September 1864 Soldier in the Army of the Confederate States. After the war he worked near Parksville in the agriculture.

Talbert was a member of the Democratic Party. Between 1880 and 1883 he sat as an MP in the House of Representatives from South Carolina; 1884 to 1888 he was a member of the State Senate. He then spent 1891-1893 State Penitentiary South Carolina. In 1892, Talbert was a delegate to the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, was again nominated on the former U.S. President Grover Cleveland as a presidential candidate. In addition, Talbert held various offices in the Farmers' Alliance.

In 1892 he was in the second constituency of South Carolina in the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington DC selected. There he met on March 4, 1893 the successor of George D. Tillman. After four elections he was able to complete in Congress until March 3, 1903 five contiguous legislatures. In this time of the Spanish-American War was from 1898. Was then that the Kingdom of Hawaii and the Philippines came under American administration. During his time as a congressman Talbert was 1895-1900 Mayor of Parksville. In 1899 he was president of the Regional Congress of Democrats in South Carolina.

In 1902, Talbert gave up another run for Congress. Instead, he unsuccessfully sought the nomination for the upcoming gubernatorial election. After he retired from politics and worked again in agriculture in the near Parksville. In 1927 he moved to McCormick, where he spent his twilight years. Jasper Talbert died on 5 February 1931 in Greenwood and was buried in Parksville.