History Portal | Portal Biographies | Current Events | Calendar years
Heads of State
Year of the Earth- pig己亥(at the beginning of earth - dog戊戌)
Syria: 1370/71 ( the year in October )
Politics and World Affairs
- May 23: The ailing French King Henry I. leaves his seven year old son Philipp choose the king, and consecrate by the Archbishop of Reims. The Capetian wants to ensure the smooth succession in the event of his death, which is achieved as a result.
- Synod of Melfi: Pope Nicholas II invested the Normans Robert Guiscard with Apulia, Calabria and Sicily. The Normans acknowledge the Papal suzerainty.
- The Byzantine emperor Isaac I. is attacked after a successful campaign against the Pechenegs from an illness which he considers fatal, and he appoints on the advice of the scholar Michael Psellos Constantine Dukas as his successor, his own brother John temporarily. Although Isaac becomes healthy again, he does not take the purple back against him, but retreats into the studio monastery where he spends as a monk, the remaining two years of his life.
Science and Technology
- The Chinese official Cai Xiang authored the book Lizhi pu about the lychee.
- At a synod at Sutri antipope Benedict X is excommunicated by the reformers to Hildebrand of Soana.
- April 13: Pope Nicholas II issues the papal election decree, which exclusively reserves the determination of the head of the Catholic Church Cardinal Bishops.
- Michael VII Dukas, Byzantine Emperor († 1078 )
- Fulcher of Chartres, chronicler of the First Crusade ( probably 1127 † )
- 29 June: Bernhard II, Duke of Saxony ( * after 990 )
- Michael I, Patriarch of Constantinople Opel