10th Avenue Bridge
44.978888888889 - 93.243888888889Koordinaten: 44 ° 58 ' 44 "N, 93 ° 14' 38 " W
The Tenth Avenue Bridge crosses the Mississippi River near the center of Minneapolis, Minnesota, very near the campus of the University of Minnesota. The bridge was before the construction of the now collapsed I-35W Mississippi River bridge Cedar Avenue Bridge called because it was originally connected to this road. Today it connects the Tenth Avenue Southeast on the east side of the river with the 19th Avenue South to the west. The bridge is considered the life's work of Minneapoliser city engineer Kristoffer Olsen Oustad, who was one of four prominent norwegischstämmigen architects who looked much in the region. The building was the National Register of Historic Places added in 1989 and forms the river downstream boundary of the Saint Anthony Falls Historic District.
Construction of the bridge began in 1926 and was completed in 1929. The total length is 662.9 m, the middle two spans be 80.9 m. It is an arch bridge and is constructed of reinforced concrete. Higher and longer than any other bridge before in the region, it was originally a total of 890.3 m long, 213 m longer than the nearby Third Avenue Bridge. It reaches a height of 33.5 m above the water surface. The construction costs amounted to 891,000 U.S. dollars. A major reconstruction were carried out 1972-1976 and the convergence fields of the bridge have been changed thereby. These were not considered architecturally significant, even not when the bridge was new. The southern approach was modified so that the bridge has now led straight onto Washington Avenue and no longer on the Cedar Avenue.
The bridge was originally built to move traffic flow over the bridge in the center of Minneapolis a mile farther upstream. The streets in the neighborhood but were interrupted by the construction of the Interstate 35W. The southern end of the lower canal lock at the Saint Anthony Falls extends under the bridge. Southeast Steam Plant, a Historic Place is near.
The original Cedar Avenue Bridge was built in 1872, but did not stand in the same place, but there was something upstream, closer to the Hennepin Avenue Bridge. The former construction was a steel truss bridge with a 5.2 m wide road body and pavements. After the reconstruction of the old bridge remained in operation until 1934, when they closed to traffic and the sidewalks were removed. 1942 the old building was demolished and scrapped. The four hundred tons of metal were used for military purposes later in World War II.