History Portal | Portal Biographies | Current Events | Calendar years
The 10th century began on January 1, 901 and ended on 31 December 1000th
The Papacy, after the Carolingian lost in the 10th century plaything of Roman nobility by their weakness the influence on the papacy. Due to the political intrigues of the papacy and the official exercise of any incumbent, the papacy lost heavily on moral authority and influence. This changed initially not among the Liudolfingern. At the end of the century Otto III tried. to reform the papacy.
From the present-day Tunisia, the Fatimids conquered a territory, which included the end of the century, all of North Africa, Palestine and Syria. The ruling dynasty which established its own caliphate belonged to the Ismaili faith of Islam and thus stood in contrast to the Sunni Abbasid Caliphate. The Fatimids laid in the year 969 their seat of power in the city of Cairo was founded by them. Through its promotion Egypt rose to become a major economic and trading center.
After the collapse of the Tang Dynasty, China was divided into several independent kingdoms. The Tang Dynasty was followed in 51 years, five dynasties, which is why the era also Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms is called. Neighboring kingdoms, such as the Uyghur, formerly conquered more Chinese regions. In the year 960 General Zhao Kuangyin overthrew the last of the five dynasties, conquered by the year 979 the other ten kingdoms and founded the Song Dynasty, which ruled China until the year 1279. With the Song dynasty in China began an era of rapid economic growth, technological progress and the cultural flowering.
The kingdom of Balhae, which included the extreme north of the Korean peninsula and parts of Manchuria was conquered in 926 by the Khitan. The largest part shared the kingdom of Silla and Goryeo kingdom split off from him and the late Baekje kingdom. In the year 936 Goryeo subdued the other kingdoms and ruled a large portion of the Korean Peninsula. An Empire established itself, which was based on an organized according to the Chinese model of civil servants. Nevertheless played the professional membership, which was hereditary, a major role.
In the last quarter of the century in Japan Genji Monogatari was ( The Tale of Genji ), one of the most important works of Japanese literature.
- 970: The Al -Azhar University ( Mosque) in Cairo is founded.
- To 907: The Tang Dynasty will end in Imperial China. The time of the five dynasties is breaking. From the period of the Five Dynasties, the oldest Chinese manuscript of a sky map exists.
- 918: Start of the Goryeo Dynasty in Korea
- 931: In Persia, the Ziyariden dynasty comes to power.
- 960: In China, the Song Dynasty begins.
- Around 1000: The Grænlendingar, led by Leif Eriksson, build several small settlements in North America that do not survive 50 years.
- Henry I, Saxon- burly German king
- Otto I, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire
- Otto II, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire
- Theophano, Empress of the Holy Roman Empire
- Mieszko I, founder of the Polish State
- Otto III. , Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire
- Basil II, Byzantine Emperor
- Hugh Capet, King of France
- Harald Bluetooth (c. 910, † 987 ), King of Denmark (ca. 936/958-987 ) and Norway ( 970-987 )