History Portal | Portal Biographies | Current Events | Calendar years
Heads of State
Year of the Fire Snake丁巳(at the beginning of Fire Dragon丙辰)
Syria: 1508/ 09 ( the year in October )
Politics and World Affairs
- July 26: Battle of Oslo, where the Bagler under Nikolas Arnason suffer a crushing defeat.
- September 28: With the death of Henry VI. takes over for the two- year-old son Frederick Empress Constance the regency. In Germany selects consequently the Hohenstaufen party Philip of Swabia, the Welf Otto IV of Brunswick page to the king.
- Peter II of Aragon obtained the death penalty by burning heretics.
- Amalric of Lusignan becomes King of Jerusalem.
- Theobald I, Count of Bar is ruler of Luxembourg.
- Vladislav Henry is elected Bohemian duke. He is, however, a little later to abdicate in favor of his brother Ottokar I., in order not to let the family dispute the Přemyslids escalate.
- The Fleet Prison in London is built.
- The planned crusade of Henry VI. is canceled due to his premature death. The vanguard of the crusader army has already reached Palestine and conquered there the coast from Tyre to Tripoli by the Ayyubids.
- First mention of Balzenwil, Diersburg, Eckernförde, casting, grave life, Ketzin, Langensteinbach, Liblar, Quendorf and Schaumburg Castle on the River Lahn.
- Between 1140 and 1197, there are 215 mints in Germany.
Religion and Culture
- September 22: The cathedral of Messina is on Archbishop Berardo, in the presence of the Emperor Henry VI. and his wife Constance, daughter of the Norman King Roger II of Sicily, consecrated.
- Pope Celestine III. tries voluntarily in favor of the favored him as the successor Cardinal Giovanni di San Paolo to abdicate, but this is prevented by opposition forces in the College of Cardinals.
- The flood of March 1197 destroyed the bridges of Paris.
- A fire destroyed most of the city of Münster in Westphalia.
- Regional Famine in Aquitaine
- January 31: William of Longchamp, Lord Chancellor of England and Bishop of Ely
- June 15: Heinrich Břetislavova III, Duke of Bohemia, Bishop of Prague.