History Portal | Portal Biographies | Current Events | Calendar years
Heads of State
Year of the Fire Monkey丙申( at the beginning of the year, wood sheep乙未)
Syria: 1607/ 08 ( the year in October )
- 2.1 Exact date of birth unknown
- 2.2 Born around 1296
Politics and World Affairs
- March 30: In a punitive campaign against the reign of John Balliol Scotland, the English King Edward I and his army conquered the city of Berwick -upon- Tweed. There will be a two-day massacre of the population.
- April 27: In the Battle of Dunbar, the troops of the English King Edward I rub in the first fight of the Scottish Wars of Independence, the Scottish army John Balliol largely on.
- First mention of Berne, Farmsen, Großhennersdorf, Kreenried, Lauenen, Oldenfelde and Tecknau.
- King Adolf of Nassau falls for the third year in a row in Thuringia and devastated the area around Gotha.
- The English King Edward I. subjecting 1296/97 temporarily Scotland.
Science and Technology
- The oldest known European Seebuch, the Compasso de Navegare is completed.
- In August, the Chinese ambassador Zhou Daguan arrives at Angkor Thom. He stays until July 1297 and drafted its report on " the usages and customs of the Khmer ", the most significant so far known written testimony about the Khmer civilization at Angkor (Cambodia) thereafter.
- (ab) Dante held various offices in Florence (for example, a member of the Council of One Hundred ).
- Arnolfo di Cambio is Dombaumeister of the Romanesque- Gothic building of Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence ( eight-sided dome completed in 1436 ).
- One of the oldest references to the carnival can be found in the Speyer chronicle of the city clerk Christoph Lehmann of 1612, the reports of old files: "In the year 1296 they started mischief Shrovetide some time / darinn some burgers in a Schlegerey with the clergy Gesind the ärgst it worn / afterwards the property arduous the Rhat attached / and mod the wicked slippers or punishment. " ( clergy Gesind means the servants of the bishop and the cathedral chapter, so the clerics in the Domimmunität )
- FEBRUARY 25: Boniface VIII issues the bull Clericis laicos with the introduction, " that the laity are enemies of the clergy ."
- Pentecost: On the General Chapter of the Dominicans in Strasbourg decided that the German province should be divided (see 1289 ). Nicholas of Treviso is selected for the ninth Chapter Master ( to 1299 ).
- Dietrich von Freiberg acquires the academic year 1296/97 at the University of Paris the title of " Master of Divinity ".
- Petrus de Alvernia (former Master of Arts Faculty ) is master of theology in Paris ( until 1302).
Exact date of birth unknown
- Andronikos III. Palaiologos, Byzantine Emperor († 1341 )
- Marjorie Bruce, only daughter of Robert I of Scotland († 1316 )
Born around 1296
- Walter Stewart, 6th High Steward of Scotland, Guardian of Scotland († 1327 )
- Gregory Palamas, Orthodox theologian and saint († 1359 )
- February 8: Przemysl II, Duke Senior, and King of Poland (* 1257 )
- February 22: Henry V, Duke of Jawor, Legnica and Wrocław (c. 1248 )
- MAY 19: Celestine V ( in captivity ), Pope in 1294 (* 1209)
- JUNE 27: Florens V, Count of Holland (* 1254 )
- 28th or 29th September, Adolf V., Regent of the county mountain since 1259
- OCTOBER 9: Louis III, Duke of Lower Bavaria (* 1269 ).