History Portal | Portal Biographies | Current Events | Calendar years
Heads of State
Year of the Metal Pig辛亥( at the beginning of the year metal dog庚戌)
Syria: 1802/ 03 ( the year in October )
In 1491, the Siege of Granada begins by the Catholic Kings Ferdinand II and Isabella I, with the Reconquista completed successfully in Spain at the beginning of next year.
In neighboring Portugal, the death of the woman married to a Spanish princess Infante Alfonso mean the end of hopes for a gesamtiberisches Empire under the house Avis. At the same time, the path is thus free for the throne one of the greatest kings in the history of Portugal.
At the same time the Roman - German King Maximilian I need after a military defeat by Vladislav II to recognize the claim of the Jagiellonian on Bohemia and Hungary. With the Peace of Pressburg he nevertheless creates long-term basis for the powerful Habsburg monarchy in the center of Europe.
- 2.1 date of birth is
- 2.2 Exact date of birth unknown
- 2.3 Born around 1491
- 3.1 First half of
- 3.2 Second half of
- 3.3 More death unknown
Politics and World Affairs
- After the death of his brother Borommaracha III. is Ramathibodi II, King of Ayutthaya. His reign is marked by a peaceful development of the Kingdom and of the first contacts with Europeans.
Science, art and culture
- The Middle Low German chronicler Hermann Bote continues in the State and stands doctrine Boek van veleme rade first critical with the prevailing social system apart.
- The printer prints Michael Furter in Basel for the first time the genealogy created by Ladislaus Sunthaym of Babenberg, which makes the latter known as genealogists and historians.
- The Cusanus map of Central Europe is printed in their Eichstätter version first.
- In Halberstadt the Gothic cathedral is dedicated.
- In Heiligenblut the consecration of the Sanctuary takes place.
Nature and Environment
- On February 20, the comet C/1491 B1 comes within 1.5 million kilometers of the Earth. This was probably the closest ever observed passage of a comet to Earth.
- Seegfrörni: Lake Zurich is completely frozen.
Date of birth is
- January 7: Wilhelm von Furstenberg, German mercenary leader († 1549)
- JANUARY 15: Nicolò da Ponte, Doge of Venice ( † 1585 )
- OCTOBER 26: Zhengde, Chinese emperor († 1521)
- November 11: Martin Bucer, German important theologian of the Reformation († 1551 )
- December 31: Jacques Cartier, French explorer and navigator († 1557)
Exact date of birth unknown
- Peter Becker, German theologian and reformer († 1563)
- Konrad Braun, German Catholic theologian († 1563)
- Jobst von Dewitz, ducal Council and Chancellor in Pomerania - Wolgast († 1542)
- Teofilo Folengo, Italian monk and poet († 1544)
- Hans Katzianer, Slovenian nobleman and military commander († 1539)
Born around 1491
First half year
- January 7: Lambert van der Heggen, priest and vicar general in Cologne
- February 2: Martin Schongauer, German engraver and painter (* 1445 /50)
- FEBRUARY 19: Enno I, Count of East Frisia (* 1460 )
- February 24: Hans Tucher, Nuremberg patrician (* 1428 )
- May 2: Dieric Bouts the Younger, Dutch painter (c. 1448 )
- May 7: Benoît de Mont Ferrand, Bishop of Coutances and Lausanne ( * before 1460 )
- MAY 14: Filippo Strozzi the Elder, Florentine merchant (* 1428 )
- MAY 31: Philippe Basiron, French composer, organist and clerics (* 1450 )
Second half- year
- August 7: Jacob Barbireau, Franco- Flemish composer (* 1455/56 )
- SEPTEMBER 25: John of Burgundy, Count of Etampes, Nevers and Rethel and of Eu ( * 1415)
- OCTOBER 5: Jean de La Balue, French cardinal and minister (* 1421 )
- December 28: Bertoldo di Giovanni, Italian sculptor (* 1345-1440 )
More death unknown
- Borommaracha III. , King of Ayutthaya (* 1447 )
- Jöns Budde, monk in Naantali (c. 1437)
- William Caxton, the first English printer (c. 1422 )
- Domenico di Michelino, Italian painter (* 1417 )
- Didrik Pining, German sailors (c. 1428 )
- Alphonso de Spina, Bishop of Thermopylae and author
- Jörg Syrlin the Elder, German carpenter and sculptor (c. 1425)