History Portal | Portal Biographies | Current Events | Calendar years
Heads of State
Year of wood sheep乙未( at the beginning of the year Wood Horse甲午)
Syria: 1906/ 07 ( the year in October )
- 3.1 First half of
- 3.2 Second half of
- 3.3 Exact date of birth unknown
Politics and World Affairs
- Repented keel Reütti is first mentioned.
Voyages of discovery
- MARCH 22: Sir Walter Raleigh discovered on the Trinidad asphalt lake.
- JULY 21: Alvaro de Mendaña de Neyra discovered the Marquesas Islands in the Pacific.
- The first Fleute, a merchant ship with a particularly large cargo space, running in the Netherlands in the city of Hoorn from the stack.
Science and Technology
- A fleet of four ships sailing under the command of Cornelis de Houtman Madagascar to East Asia, the first Dutch East India expedition. Pieter Dirkszoon Keyser is navigator on one of these ships. He has been commissioned by the cartographer Petrus Plancius to make observations of the deep southern sky, as the Europeans are present above the stars of these regions still no reliable data. Of the 249 participants return to 1597 only 87 back alive.
- The Ratsgymnasium Osnabrück is inaugurated.
- The architect Anton van Obberghen built the Old City Hall in the Old Town of Gdansk.
- 1595: The Nordertor in Flensburg is built.
- To 1594/1595: Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio painted one of his early masterpieces: Rest on the Flight to Egypt.