1972 Winter Olympics
- Ard Schenk ( Netherlands) won three gold medals in speed skating over 1500, 5000 and 10,000 meters.
- Galina Kulakowa (USSR) won in all three cross-country skiing competitions of women over 5 and 10 kilometers, with the Soviet team in the relay competition a gold medal.
- Marie -Theres Nadig ( Switzerland ) won each a gold medal in downhill and giant slalom.
- Francisco Fernandez Ochoa won so far the only Spaniard at the Olympic Winter Games gold medal in the slalom.
- First Winter Olympics in Asia.
- Yukio Kasaya, Akitsugu Konno and Seiji Aochi won with her triple success in ski jumping on the 70 - meter jump the first triple victory for Japan at the Winter Olympics, what the second medal success at Winter Games ever for Japan after winning the silver medal by Chiharu Igaya at the Winter Games in Cortina d' Ampezzo in 1956 showed.
- The Austrian Karl Schranz was disqualified from participating in the competition, it was a violation of the law accused former Amateur. On his return, he was greeted in Vienna as an Olympic champion by thousands of people excited.
It 35 competitions were held in six sports.