1983 Cannes Film Festival
The 36th International Film Festival of Cannes 1983 took place until May 19, 1983 by May 7.
In Competition at this year's festival the following films were shown:
* = Golden Palm
William Styron was president of the jury this year. He stood in front of the following judges: Henri Alekan, Yvonne Baby, Sergei Bondarchuk, Youssef Chahine, Souleymane Cissé, Gilbert de Goldschmidt, Mariangela melatonin, Karel Reisz and Lia Van Leer.
- Palme d'Or: The Ballad of Narayama
- Grand Jury Prize: The Meaning of Life
- Special Jury Prize: Kharij
- Best Actor: Gian Maria Volonte in Death of Mario Ricci
- Best Actress: Hanna Schygulla in The Story of Piera
- Best Director: Robert Bresson and Andrei Tarkovsky for the money for Nostalghia
- Best artistic performance: Carlos Saura Carmen
- Technology Price: Carmen
- FIPRESCI Prize: Nostalghia
- Prize of the Ecumenical Jury: Nostalghia