2006 Algarve Cup
The Algarve Cup 2006 was the 13th playout of annually since 1994 discharged and most important after the Olympic Tournament Women, the World and European Championships women's football tournament for national teams and was held from 9 to 15 March 2006 were as had at various venues in the Algarve, the southernmost region of Portugal instead.
World Champion Germany won for the first time the competition with a 4-3 penalty shoot-out against the reigning Olympic champion United States.
The tournament was attended by eleven teams. The eight highest -assessed teams formed the groups A and B, the three weaker teams the group C. First, the teams played in their group against each of the placement. At first, was the best score, then the direct comparison and only then the goal difference for the placement critical. Thereafter, proceed as follows:
- Place game 9: The second- placed team in Group C against the poorer fourth- placed team of Group A or Group B.
- Place play- 7: Winner of Group C against the better fourth -placed team of Group A or Group B.
- Match for 5th place: The third-placed teams in Groups A and B.
- 3rd Place Match: The second-placed teams in Groups A and B.
- Finals: The winners of Groups A and B were playing to win the tournament.
Northern Ireland as the fourth team withdrew, but " substitute candidate" Slovakia also came not to, so that was played with three teams.
All games were held on 15 March 2006.
Place play- 9
Game for 7th place
Match for 5th place
3rd Place Match