2009 AFC Champions League
The AFC Champions League 2009 was the 28th edition of the continental competition, the highest in Asia, which was held for the seventh time under its present name. The winner of the competition qualified for the FIFA Club World Cup 2009.
- 2.1 Qualification Round
- 2.2 Group Stage
- 4.1 Group Stage
- 4.2 Final Round
- 6.1 Group A
- 6.2 Group B
- 6.3 Group C
- 6.4 Group D
- 6.5 Group E
- 6.6 Group F
- 6.7 Group G
- 6.8 Group H
- 7.1 knockout round
- 7.2 quarterfinals
- 7.3 Semi-finals
- 7.4 final
A total of 38 teams participated in the AFC Champions League 2009. After completion of the qualifying round took at the end of 31 teams and the defending champion from the previous year on the main round part.
Unlike, for example, in the UEFA Champions League only associations are eligible, meet the criteria of the AFC.
Qualifying Round: (8 teams)
- Ever a team from United Arab Emirates United Arab Emirates, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, India, India, Vietnam Vietnam
- Plus the finalists of the AFC Cup 2008
The losers of the qualifying rounds to play in the AFC Cup 2008.
Group stage: (32 teams)
- 2 winners of the qualification
Directly qualified are:
- Four teams Japan Japan, China, People's Republic of China, Iran Iran, South Korea South Korea, Saudi Arabia Saudi Arabia
- Three teams United Arab Emirates United Arab Emirates
- Each two teams Australia, Uzbekistan Uzbekistan, Qatar Qatar
- Each team a Indonesia Indonesia
* The associations of the finalists of the AFC Cup 2008 did not meet the eligibility criteria of the AFC. Both clubs were placed in the AFC Cup.
Results of the qualifying round
* Binh Duong FC was originally entitled to start for the qualification of the AFC Champions League 2009, but could not meet the necessary criteria of the AFC Champions League. PSMS Medan was thus automatically next round.
In the group stage, 32 teams played in eight groups of four teams in the league mode (outward and return ). The teams were divided along geographical lines. In groups A to D, the teams from West and Central Asia played in groups E to G took the teams from East and Southeast Asia. The two group winners qualified for the Final Round of 16, the tournament was played with three points for a win.
The quarter-final was a draw, but it can not meet two teams from one country directly. The teams played in the knockout system with return game of the tournament winner, the away goals rule applied. The winner of the tournament qualified for the FIFA Club World Cup 2009 in the United Arab Emirates.
- Qualifiers February 18 and February 25
- Group Stage: 10-11. March 17-18. March 7/8 April 21-22. April 5/6 May 19-20. May
- Second round: May 27 ( West Asia), June 24 ( East Asia )
- Quarter-finals: September 23 or September 24, September 30,
- Semi-finals: October 21, October 28
- Final: November 6 or November 7
* Al- Sharjah withdrew after 4 match days out of the Champions League. The club had a fine in the amount of $ 413,000 payable to the AFC and was closed to all competition of the AFC in 2010.