24th U-boat Flotilla
The 24th Unterseebootsflottille, short 24 U- Flotilla, was a military unit of the former German Navy in World War II.
Made the flotilla was in October 1939 as submarine - Ausbildungsflottillle, which was renamed in April of the following year in first U- Boat Ausbildungsflottille. As a base served by this time Danzig. The flotilla was primarily used for the training of future commanders. It was attended by between ten and twelve young officers at a four-week Commander ( torpedo ) course- shooting, which was the last training for her before she then took a U- boat. Target vessel was mostly the Goya. Later, the flotilla also took over the responsibility for the underwater training.
In July 1940 the flotilla was renamed the 24th U- Flotilla. Memel formed until October 1944 the Flottillenstützpunkt, which was laid in 1941 for three months to Trondheim short term. Flotilla Merten prompted the creation of the emblem swastika under towers and the gate of the city of Memel. From October 1944 to February 1945 was Gotenhafen basis of the flotilla. Last base was Eckernförde. The story of the flotilla ended with its dissolution in March 1945.
- November 1939 to July 1942 --- Commander Hannes Weingartner
- July 1942-January 1943 --- Captain Rudolf Peters
- March 1943 to May 1944 --- Commander Karl -Friedrich Merten
- May 1944-July 1944 --- Lieutenant Commander Charles Jasper ( by proxy)
- July 1944 to March 1945 --- Commander Karl -Friedrich Merten
Overall, this flotilla were assigned to 53 boats. One of them was in the service asked in January 1941, Dutch O 26, which was performed in a row as UD 4.