History Portal | Portal Biographies | Current Events | Calendar years
Heads of State
Year of the Wood Snake乙巳( at the beginning of the year, Wood Dragon甲辰)
Syria: 596/597 ( year in October )
Politics and World Affairs
- Kaiser Carinus defeated the usurper Julian of Pannonia, who had proclaimed the year to rival emperor.
- First mention of the Saxons, who undertake to sea raids on the coasts of Belgium and Gaul.
- July: meet Diocletian and Carinus ' armies in the Battle of the Margus each other. The outcome of the struggle is narrated differently. It is clear that Carinus is no longer the next day alive. Diocletian can assert itself as the ruler of the Roman Empire. The era of the soldier emperors is over.
- Diocletian began a major reform of the Roman Empire, which is greatly weakened by the Reich crisis of the 3rd century. Among other things, he divides the kingdom into twelve dioceses with 85 provinces.
- 285: Dorothea, Christian martyr († 305 )
- Carinus, Roman emperor
- 285: Julian of Pannonia, usurper and Roman Emperor