History Portal | Portal Biographies | Current Events | Calendar years
Heads of State
Year of The Water Monkey壬申( at the beginning of the year metal sheep辛未)
Era of Diocletian: 28/29 ( the year of November)
Syria: 623/624 ( year in October )
Politics and World Affairs
- Spring: Emperor Constantine the Great pulls with an army of 40,000 Romans, Gauls and Teutons to Italy, which is occupied for five years by the usurper Maxentius. He manages to defeat the enemy troops near Turin, Brescia and Verona eventually. In the final battle falls Maxentius ' army commander, the praetorian prefect Ruricius Pompeianus.
- October 28: In the north of Rome it comes to the battle of the Milvian Bridge between the army of Constantine and Maxentius the ', which consists largely of Praetorians. Supposedly Constantine's army while carrying the monogram of Christ on the shields, in fact, the use of the "Chi- Rho " sign by Konstantin is detected only in the 320ern. The battle to victory for Constantine; the numerically superior, but inexperienced Praetorians can not withstand his army. Maxentius drowned in the Tiber on the run.
- After his arrival in Rome Constantine can dissolve the existing 450 years Praetorian Guard, who had played an important role in the usurpation of Maxentius. The Praetorians are added to regular legionaries and in different parts of the empire. The Castra Praetoria is demolished.
- The Roman Senate announces the construction of the Arch of Constantine in order. For financial reasons, it reliefs are reused from previous years.
- January 7: Lucian of Antioch, theologian and priest (c. 250)
- Marcus Aurelius Valerius Maxentius, Roman rival emperor (c. 278)
- Ruricius Pompeianus, Roman officer
- By 312: Diocletian, Roman emperor