Aarwangen ( in the local dialect: [ ɑrʋɑŋ gə ː ] ) is a municipality in the Oberaargau the canton of Bern in Switzerland.
Aarwangen located in the Upper Aargau in the Swiss Plateau, close to two Aareufern, with by far the largest part of the community attributable to the southern bank. The settlement pattern consists of the village of Aarwangen with the neighborhoods Bleuerain, Ried Gass, Hard, Farnere, yard and Mumenthal and the hamlet Meiniswil. On the northern banks of the Aare is located in the district Schürhof a small bridgehead on Aarwanger area. South of the bridge is the Aarwangen Castle.
The neighboring municipalities are Bannwil, black houses, Wynau, Roggwil, Langenthal and Thunstetten. Aarwangen developed alongside Langenthal and the community Herzogenbuchsee the third largest municipality in the Upper Aargau. The agricultural and settlement areas of the municipality Aarwangen comprises 599 hectares. The agricultural land is still farmed today from 29 farms.
Currently (as of 2013) is made up of the council as follows:
- Kurt Bläuenstein, Gemeinde-/Gemeinderatspräsident, FDP
- Daniel Andres, Gemeinde-/Gemeinderatsvizepräsident, SVP
- Irene Ammann, SP
- Claudia Baradun, FDP
- Remo Schär, FDP
- Martin Winkelmann, SVP
- Matthias Zingg, SVP
Aarwangen is well developed transport links seen. By Aarwangen the meter gauge railway line of the former Langenthal -Jura -Bahn, which is now of the Aare Seeland mobil ( ASM ) is operated and has several stops in the village runs. Every half hour the following lines at peak times, otherwise hourly, navigate:
- Aarwangen - Langenthal -St. Urban; with connection to Bern / Zurich in Langenthal
- Aarwangen - Niederbipp -Solothurn; with connection to Biel and Solothurn in Niederbipp
In about 10 minutes by car from the motorway junction 43 of the A1 in Niederbipp.
Aarwangen was on the right bank of the river Aare transitions on the way from Langenthal about Balsthal to Basel. The place name is attested in 1251 and later copies of two Documenten from the period around 1200 / '25 as Arwangen. It is originally a composite field names with OHG wang, gently sloping meadow, Au, stockpile, Field, Plain, land ' as a background element.
Until the 18th century, the streets and art in the 19th century, the railway were built, the Aare River was a busy trade route used substitute. Aarwangen was on the point for goods from western Switzerland and eastern Switzerland. Already in the 16th century Aarwangen had a covered wooden bridge. The transition was secured by the castle and funded by a customs station. In Aarwangen the High Middle Ages, the limit was between Burgundians ( in western Switzerland ) and Alemanni ( in eastern Switzerland ).
The municipal coat of arms is decorated in black and silver. It corresponds to the seal of the Lords of Aarwangen. With their extinction in 1341 village and dominion went to the Barons of Green Mountain (see ruin Grünenberg in Melchnau ), which were also Ministeriale the Habsburgs. In the 14th century the city of Bern to regional superpower was. As in 1415, the Confederates the Habsburgs wrested from the Aargau, the Greens Berger had to re-orient and finally sold in 1432, the rule Aarwangen to Bern.
The foundation stone was laid in the bailiwick Aarwangen Castle. She stayed until the end of the Bern city-state in the spring of 1798 made . A total of 75 governors resided in the castle Aarwangen where their coat of arms still adorn one wall.
In 1803, the canton of Bern was divided into administrative districts. Aarwangen was the district capital. Today, the district court Aarwangen - cheeks has its headquarters in the castle.
Fauna and Flora
The area around Aarwangen is the habitat of rare species of dragonfly in Switzerland helmet Azurjungfer. This site belongs to the European nature network emerald. This extends over the numerous small streams which still exist in the community. They extend, inter alia, in the fields between Aarwangen and Meiniswil and from there towards Aare.
- Heinz Egger, Swiss illustrator and draftsman
- Thomas Lamparter, world champion in four-man bobsleigh
- Gottfried Egger (1830-1913), brewery entrepreneurs