Abilene (Hebrew for City in the plane ) is a city in the U.S. state of Texas.
The city was founded in 1881 at the time of railway construction in the region. Ten years later, the Hardin - Simmons University was founded in 1891. The village is 524 meters above sea level.
Abilene is proud of its long military history dating back to the year 1800. As the home of Dyess Air Force Base with his Rockwell B-1 bomber fleet and the Lockheed C-130 transport aircraft, this military tradition continues in the 21st century.
Abilene is located in the northwest corner of Taylor County, in the central northwestern Texas and is located on the southern edge of the Texas panhandles.
Abilene has access to the east-west running Interstate 20 and north-south running U.S. Highways 83, 84 and 277 The existing since 1881 combined with the Texas and Pacific Railroad persists to this day.
Abilene owes its existence to the Texas and Pacific Railroad, as well as some ranchers and land speculators. Before the arrival of the railway, the area around Abilene was sporadically inhabited by nomadic Native Americans, followed by military, buffalo hunters and ranchers. After 1870, the Indians were driven out and the herds of cattle breeders breeders grazed in this area.
1878 Taylor County was formed and Buffalo Gap was to the county seat ( county seat ) selected. When the Texas and Pacific Railroad in 1880 began to lay their tracks westwards, several businessmen and land speculators came together to the railway company to persuade them to lay the tracks through their land, which they found to readily available and a small town called Abilene, named after the cattle town of Abilene, Kansas was founded.
After the arrival of the railway in 1881, this supported the new place and referred to him as Future Great City of West Texas. The town grew rapidly, many businessmen attracted because of the rail link to the new city and on October 23, 1883 Abilene was elected the county seat. 1890, the City had already grown already 3194 inhabitants and 1910, the population in 9204.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Ken Baumann ( * 1989), actor
- Chris Bell ( b. 1959 ), politician, member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- David Boudia (* 1989), diver and Olympic champion
- Lyn Collins (1948-2005), soul singer
- Roy Crane (1901-1977), comic artist and a pioneer of the classic adventure comics
- Shae D' Lyn (born 1962 ), actress
- Megan Ewing ( born 1984 ), Supermodel
- Dennis González (born 1954 ), jazz trumpeter, composer and musical educator
- Ryan Guzman (* 1987), actor
- Jim Hall ( b. 1935 ), former race car driver and racing car constructor
- David W. Harper ( born 1961 ), actor
- Gregory Hoblit ( born 1944 ), film producer and film director
- Deirdre Lovejoy (born 1962 ), actress
- Bill Maddox (1953-2010), jazz-rock drummer
- Paige McPherson (* 1990), and Taekwondo medalist at the Pan American Games in Guadalajara
- Lee Roy Parnell ( born 1956 ), country singer and songwriter
- Guy Penrod ( born 1963 ), gospel and Christian music singer
- Bill Sharman (1926-2013), basketball player and coach
- Jessica Simpson ( born 1980 ), pop singer and actress
- CJ Thomason ( b. 1982 ), actor and model
- Wayne Wells ( born 1946 ), wrestler and Olympic Champion
- Mason Williams ( born 1938 ), guitarist and composer