Abja- Paluoja ( German Abia - Palloja ) is a town in southern Estonia. The city belongs administratively to the municipality Abja in Viljandi County. It is located on the south side of the glacial valley of Halliste and extends up to 56.7 acre lake Kariste.
The present city Abja- Paluoja got its name from the historic manor house Abja ( first mentioned in 1504 ) and the pitcher Paluoja, which was located on the road from Parnu to Valga. There, the traditional autumn fair was held until the beginning of the 20th century, played a major role in the cattle trade between Riga and northern Estonia.
Was also started with the flax cultivation very early, through which the region came after the Great Northern War and a subdued plague since the 18th century to wealth.
In 1890 settled reinforced craftsmen and traders in the former Paluoja on. The village saw another economic boom from 1895 through the construction of narrow- gauge railway from Mõisaküla to Viljandi (operating until 1973 ). This ensured the industrialization Abja- Paluoja.
In 1993, the city received city rights. 1998 Abja- Paluoja was administratively subordinated to the community Abja.
Today's Baltic German manor of Abja with numerous outbuildings ( Braustube, Schappsbrennerei, stables ) was built in the first quarter of the 19th century in Neoclassical style. It is surrounded by a large park. An avenue leads to the main building. Since 1957, it was a children's home, later premises for the Estonian Border Guard. Today, it is for sale.