Absam is an Austrian municipality in Tyrol with 6766 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013). In addition Absam is a pilgrimage on the Camino, whose sanctuary was raised in 2000 for minor basilica. The municipality is located in the judicial district of Hall in Tirol.
- 3.1 Demographics
- 6.1 Basilica of St. Michael
- 9.1 External links on the Basilica
Absam lies at the Karwendel mountains near the medieval town of Hall in Tyrol and the Tyrolean capital of Innsbruck at an altitude of 632 m above sea level. A. The highest point of the municipality is the 2725 m high Great Bettelwurf. Absam one of the MARTHA villages.
The community Absam consists of a single cadastral and village Absam, districts are Absam village and Eichat.
995 the village was first mentioned in the books of the Diocese of Brixen as " Abazanes ". In the area Absamer sat early industrialization an especially by the salt mining in the Hall valley.
- Stand hunting Melans
The municipality is a member of the Climate Alliance Tyrol.
The last mayor elections took place simultaneously with the local elections on March 14, 2010.
Arno Guggenbichler was elected mayor and John Mallet Vice Mayor.
Coat of arms
The coat of arms granted in 1965 showing a violin and the miraculous image of the basilica. The instrument is reminiscent of one of the most famous sons of the church, the violin maker Jakob Stainer, the miraculous image refers to the Marian apparition in 1797 that made one of the most important places of pilgrimage in Tyrol Absam.
Culture and sights
Basilica of St. Michael
On 24 June 2000, the church of St. Michael was the basilica, and without the help of the church community. Many prayers to have been already been granted, which are intended to show votive tablets in the church. On the right side of the altar a miraculous image of the Mother of God is immortalized in the window that remains visible despite several cleaning procedures.
Absam ( therefore often the name Marie Absam ) is Marian shrine, the Church is but dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel.
- Winter sports: bobsleigh, ski jump and cross-country skiing
- Trail of Absam into the Hall valley, where the former St. Magdalena and relics of salt mining are.
- In Absam the Andreas -Hofer- barracks of the Austrian Armed Forces is.
- Absam is the location of the training center of the security police in Tirol
- Absam place is the plot of the film The Golden Nazi Vampire of Absam 2 - The Secret of Castle Kottlitz
Sons and daughters of the town
- Josef Feistmantl, luge, Olympic doubles in 1964
- Franz Fischler, former EU Commissioner, politicians, ministers
- Wolfgang Kattnig, Triathlete
- Andreas Linger and Wolfgang Linger, luge, Olympic Torino 2006 and Vancouver 2010
- Walburga Schindl, writer
- James Stainer violin maker
- Ernst Vettori, ski jumper and Olympic champion in 1992
- Max Weiler, painter