Academy of Athens (modern)
Template: Infobox university / student missing template: Infobox university / staff missing template: Infobox university / professors missing
The Academy of Athens (Greek: Ακαδημία Αθηνών, English: Academy of Athens ) is the leading organization promoting non- university academic research and central academic institution in Greece. It has its headquarters in the Greek capital Athens.
The Academy of Athens is a founding member of the International Union of Academies and the International Science Council ( International Council for Science, ICSU ) and a member of ALLEA, EASAC, IAC and IAMP.
Already in 1824, during the Greek revolution, Greek academics tried to create the academy in the "center of education in Greece " ( Thucydides ) and as a modern successor of the ancient Platonic Academy.
By donation by the Austrian Baron Simon of Sina, named after him classicist academy Sinea was built according to plans by the Danish architect Theophil von Hansen by the architect Ernst Ziller in 1856, the murals by Christian Griepenkerl from. However, the Academy of Athens was founded as an institution only by constitutional decree on 18 March 1926 as an academy of sciences and arts. On 24 March 1926, the then- presidential council took over the building of the " Academy Sinaea ".
The Academy is funded by the Ministry of National Education and Religion and managed by the Senate of the Academy. The latter consists among other things of the annual newly elected President and Vice - President, the successor in office of the President is in each subsequent year.
The Academy of Athens is divided into three sections:
The Ioannis Sykoutris Library is the central library of the Academy. In addition, the Academy currently manages 23 research institutes in Greece and the Hellenistic under its Institute for Byzantine Studies in Venice and Postbyzantische.