3 Dahoam Active for Achenkirch 3 Independent Party List Achenkirch 2 We for you

Achenkirch is a municipality with 2130 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013 ) in the district Schwaz, Tyrol ( Austria ). The municipality is located in the judicial district of Schwaz.

  • 2.1 Coat of Arms
  • 4.1 parish
  • 4.2 Anna church
  • 4.3 chapels


Geographical location / municipality

The Achenkirch consists of several scattered villages in Achen Valley ( Achenkirch, Achensee, Achen valley and Achenwald ), from the northern tip of Lake Achen Achen to pass on the Bavarian border.

Achenkirch as the northern littoral share of the " crown jewel of Tyrol". The Achensee was drained by the Ache north to the river Isar. 1929, the outflow of Lake Achen has been locked and drained since then about the Achensee power plant in Jenbach, the 1924 - was built in 1927.

The municipal area also includes the immediate lakeshore, former customs station Scholastica ( once important for the transport of salt, now a hotel with its own boat landing ); as well as the site of the former Achen Seehofs, a defunct age seat for the singer Rainer Ludwig (1821-1893), today lido with chapel and its own boat dock.

Neighboring communities

Brandenberg, Eben am Achensee, Kreuth, Lenggries, Steinberg am Achensee


The first documentary mention in 1112 relates to a donation from the area around Lake Achensee with a church by the Lords of Schlitters to the Abbey of St. George -Fiecht in Schwaz. The name comes Achen Valley in the early records first in the form " achene " and " Vallis Achen ," ie Achen valley, before. In the 14th century the name " Sant Jörgental " seems to even once. The name Achen valley itself was first used in the fishing book of Emperor Maximilian I in 1500.

As own local church is called the Achen Valley since 1313, from 1530 the church Achen Valley is referred to as neighborhood or main team. They belonged to the district court Rottenburg ( in Redwood Jenbach ) until 1835, after the district court Schwaz and from 1848 to the judicial district of Schwaz.

Political community Achental 1811 by the Bavarian administrative reform. Tyrol belonged from 1806 - 1814 the Kingdom of Bavaria. In the formation of the political district authorities in 1867, the community Achen valley was assigned to the district of Schwaz. In 1971 the community was renamed " Achenkirch ".

Coat of arms

On November 6, 1973, the municipality was awarded by the Provincial Government of Tyrol a coat of arms. Description: A silver wave beams, accompanied by green fields in the sign a black top and a black rafters, about a black onion dome.

The coat of arms symbolized as canting arms the place name.

Economy and infrastructure

Economically important today are in addition to timber production, agriculture, trade and especially the tourism on the lake and the ski Highglades Christlum. The traditional Einhof Sixenhof home to a local museum that offers an insight into the lifestyle and the craft earlier times. In the first half of the 20th century, the forest management in the area of ​​forest Achen was operated inter alia with the Klammbach Forest Railway.

Von Achen church, the road branches off to Steinberg am Achensee.

Culture and sights

Parish Church

Ecclesiastical center was always the church about three kilometers north of Lake Achen. It was originally a proprietary church of the Lords of Schlitters, which was handed over to the donation to the monastery George Berg. With this donation, the church is referred to as a parish in the valley Emaus. But soon comes the name of the church to Achen, Achenkirch on. The present parish church of St. John the Baptist in " Achen Valley " 1748 - built in 1750, designed by Jacob Singer. The tower with onion dome completed in 1755 the building. Several elements reminiscent of the former baroque features:

  • Altarpiece with Saint John the Baptist by Philipp Haller ( 1762)
  • Confessionals and 12 Apostles images in the choir
  • Chair cheeks and statue of St. John Nepomuk in the nave

Other equipment:

  • Four statues at the neo-Romanesque high altar are the Saint George, Vincent, King Henry II and Florian is (1891 ).
  • On the left side of the altar: the Queen of the Rosary, St. Dominic the Rosary over -reaching; next to the Saints Benedict and Scholastica.
  • The right side altar is dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
  • Ceiling fresco by Johann end panels (1842 ).
  • Stained glass in the choir ( 1890).
  • Organ by Josef Aigner ( 1878).

Since 1750, the church was restored several times and redesigned, the new baroque wall painting from 1933/34, no longer exists. The current wall painting in the Nazarene style dates from 1870.

The peal consists of five bells:

  • Heart of Jesus and Immaculate Heart Bell, 1488 kg, audio d / 1
  • John the Baptist - bell, 905 kg, f / 1
  • Benedict and Scholastica - bell, 640 kg g / 1
  • Leonard Bell, 360 kg, b / 1
  • Death bell, 256 kg, c / 2

Anna church

The baroque Annakircherl from the 18th century situated on a hill outside the town, near the once largest Urhofes in Achen Valley " Dolnhof ". It was built in 1670 by the farm owner Christoph Unterberger and is often used for weddings. The altarpiece shows the uptake and Coronation of the Virgin, and is by an unknown painter from the 18th century.


15 chapels within the municipal area from the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries have been preserved. Some of them belonged to defunct original courtyards and were built by the farm owners and restaurateurs. A wine house has survived since the 15th century and was established in 1672 in its present form. It was restored in 1992 and is again operated as a restaurant.

The house Salzstadel ( privately owned ) was once a meeting point of the salt traders on the main transport route between Salinas in Hall and the city of Munich.

Partner communities

Sons and daughters of the town

  • Felix Mitterer ( * 1948 ), Austrian actor and playwright
  • Josef Anton Leather Maier ( † 1944 in Soviet captivity ), poet
  • Rainer Ludwig († May 15, 1893 in Kreuth ), founder of Rainer society tomb in Achenkirch

Persons with respect to the municipality

  • Bernhard Sirch OSB (born in 1943 in Günzburg, died 2013), parish priest and Expositus of Hinterriß 1994-2009