- 3.1 Illustrations
Achim Freyer initially was trained as a graphic designer and painter before he became a master student by Bertolt Brecht at the Berliner Ensemble. He first worked as a stage and costume designer ( with directors such as Ruth Berghaus, Adolf Dresen and Benno Besson ). In 1972 he moved to West Berlin and began here soon with my own work as a director. He directed at leading theaters in Germany and Europe. Were a special focus premieres and first performances, including by such composers as Mauricio Kagel, Unsuk Chin, Dieter Schnebel ( Maulwerke, 1977), Philip Glass, Helmut Lachenmann and Erhard Grosskopf. As a visual artist he was, among other things represented at the documenta in Kassel (1977 and 1987) and at the Prague Quadrennial. 1976-2002 Freyer was a full professor at the University of Arts Berlin ( University of Arts ).
For his production of Turandot / Persephone ( Busoni / Stravinsky ) in 1994 in Venice, he was awarded the Italian Critics Award for the best production of the year.
In 1988 he founded the Freyer Ensemble, the actors, dancers, acrobats, musicians, singers, directors and designers belong. From the combination of the various disciplines of performing and visual arts numerous own performances took place. Achim Freyer is a member of the Berlin Academy of Arts, the Free Academy of the Arts Leipzig and the Saxon Academy of Arts.
In 2000 he was awarded the Bavarian Theatre Prize ( prize of the Bavarian Prime Minister ). In 2005 he received the Medal of Honor of the federal capital Vienna in silver.
Achim Freyer gave in his vibrant city of Berlin's historic villa colony lights West-field, "Kunsthaus Achim Freyer " one, which opened in 2013.
His marriage to the artist Ilona Freyer originate twin daughters: the costume designer Amanda Freyer and the painter Julia Freyer. Achim Freyer lives next to Berlin temporarily in southern Tuscany.
- Faust I and II ( Goethe ), Directed by: Claus Peymann, Stuttgart 1977
- Theater trilogy The Metamorphoses of Ovid or the movement from the edges towards the center and vice versa, Burgtheater 1987
- Woyzeck, Burgtheater 1989
- Phaeton, Burgtheater 1991
- The Servant of Two Masters (Carlo Goldoni ), Burgtheater 1997
- The natives (UA, Franz Xaver Kroetz ), Burgtheater 1999
- Hamlet ( Shakespeare), the Berliner Ensemble in 2000
- If you encounter a dead dog or the sample, the Berliner Ensemble, 2006
- Journey into the blue
- August Stramm, Sancta Susanna. With 6 z.T. original colored lithographs by Achim Freyer, Publisher Faber and Faber