Adams National Historical Park
The Adams National Historical Park is a memorial to commemorate the Adams family, have emerged from the two U.S. presidents and several other politicians, diplomats, military officers, business leaders and scientists. The 1946 first dedicated National Historical Park is located in Quincy, Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston, and is managed by the National Park Service.
Buildings at the memorial
To the Adams National Historical Park consists of eleven historic buildings, which are connected with the life of members of the Adams family. Among them:
- The birthplace of John Adams (1735-1826), who was 1797-1801 the second President of the United States.
- The birthplace of John Quincy Adams (1767-1848), son of John Adams and 1825 to 1829 the 6th U.S. President.
- The house and farm buildings Peacefield in which John Adams and his wife Abigail Adams lived from 1788.
- The Stone Library, a library building, the John Q. Adams in 1780 had built for his books and records
On the site there is also the First Parish Church, a Church of Unitarian Universalists, in both the U.S. president and their wives are buried in a family tomb. The present building dates from 1828 and was built by architect Alexander Parris. However, the church does not belong to the memorial, it is owned by the church and is still used today.
Birthplace of John Quincy Adams
The Stone Library
The reception room in Peace Field
Other members of the Adams family, who lived on the site, include Charles Francis Adams, Sr., son of John Quincy, diplomat and U.S. senator, Charles Francis Adams, Jr., son of Charles Francis sr. , General and President the Union Pacific Railroad and the brothers of Charles Francis Jr., the historian Brooks Adams and the historian and philosopher Henry Adams with his wife Marian Hooper Adams.
History of the Memorial
For the first time a part of today's memorial was established in 1946 as Adams Mansion National Historic Site. It was renamed in 1952 in Adams National Historic Site in 1960 and the two birth houses were recognized as National Historic Landmarks. The whole complex was rededicated on November 2, 1998, a national historical park.