Advanced Stream Redirector
Template: Infobox file format / Maintenance / Magic number missing template: Infobox file format / Maintenance / type missing template: Infobox file format / Maintenance / default missing template: Infobox file format / Maintenance / missing site
Redirecting Advanced Stream (ASX ) and Windows Media Audio Redirecting were designed to combine and play WMV or WMA files in Windows Media Player flexible. Similar to SMIL can use these files playlists are generated or advertisements are embedded in the playback. ASX / WAX files are text-based collections of custom XML tags that each access certain functions of Windows Media Player. Often these files are also known as Windows Media metafiles.
In the meantime, it is recommended by Microsoft, the file extension. WVX to use instead of. ASX
One possible use of the derived XML format ASX is the generation of files that refer to video and audio content. ASX files contain the address of the content to be played and can be sent as an attachment to e- mails or saved to disk. More complex functions can be implemented similar to SMIL:
- Specifying alternate URLs that are accessed in non-availability of an address
- Definition of a playlist from multiple clips to a presentation
- Insert of promotional items, banners or logos in a presentation
- Playing a short preview before the main presentation
- Adding descriptive metadata to the content
Were introduced ASX files from Microsoft for the same reason as the RAM files from RealNetworks: Previously, many browsers had problems with the recognition of the different file types and protocols. To prevent the risk that content may could not be downloaded, used to ASX files to reference content on the servers. ASX v1 is exactly provides this functionality.
ASX Version 2
ASX Release 3
ASX version 3 as part of Windows Media Tools 4.0 has the following new features:
- Overriding the metadata of a referenced ASF File: The information on title, author, copyright and the like. the ASF file can be " overwritten " by the corresponding data in the ASX file.
- Advertising: Clickable banners can be displayed at certain times in the media player.
- Event Syntax: methods for switching between a live broadcast and defined in a playlist media files. During the live broadcast script commands sent can be received and cause the seamless insertion of media files in the live stream.
Example 1: Playlist
Here's a simple ASX file in which the basic syntax is recognizable. There are consecutively accessed 2 files from a streaming server in Windows Media Player.
ASX files can also be used to respond to connection or server problems. If an address in a item can not be played, the player will automatically try to avoid one or more alternative URL. Reasons for such connection problems are typically firewalls which block the streaming protocols MMS or RTSP. In u g, the first file would not be found, and the reproduction of the second URL will be blocked by a firewall. Therefore, the third URL would be rendered over HTTP.
In addition, like author, title, copyright can in the ASX file metadata, and more.
These data apply either to the entire playlist or a single
This simple example shows how every 20 seconds an advertising insertion takes place in a live stream.
To download ASX video streams and thus to make available offline, there are various software solutions. These draw on the video stream and then set it in a video file. This makes it possible, among other things, with low bandwidth video stream first download to this later to look smooth.