Aileu ( Aileu Vila ) is a city in East Timor, with 2,927 inhabitants ( 2010). It is the capital of the subdistrict Aileu with 20,830 inhabitants ( as of 2010), as well as the parent Aileu district, the 44,325 inhabitants ( 2010).
The city is located in the Aileu Suco Seloi Painting ( Painting ), about 30 kms south of the capital, Dili, at an altitude of 913 m and extends to the Suco Liurai. Aileu located on the rivers and Mantane Mumdonihun, on the road connecting Dili across the island with Betano on the south coast. The region is very mountainous, so the distance is to Dili on the road 47 km away. The place was called during the Portuguese dictatorship Vila General Carmona, named after the Portuguese President António Oscar de Fragoso Carmona.
The end of 1999, there were at times plans to make Aileu the new capital of an independent East Timor. These plans were however rejected again.
The subdistrict Aileu located in the southwest of the district Aileu. In the north, bordering the subdistrict Aileu to the subdistrict Laulara, on the northeast by Remexio, to the east by Lequidoe, on the southeast by the District Ainaro and to the west by the district Ermera.
The subdistrict Aileu divided into 11 Sucos on: Aissirimou ( Aisirimou ) Bandudato ( Bandudatu ) Fahiria, Fatubossa ( Fatubosa ) Hoholau, Lahae, Lausi, Liurai ( Suco Liurai, Suku Liurai ) Saboria, Seloi Craic ( Seloi Kråik ) and Seloi Painting with the district capital Aileu. The Sucos Besilau, Fatubesi, Hohulu, Hurai Raco, laclo, Lequitura and sarin were resolved with the local government reform of 2003.
In Subdistrict Aileu ( Aileu Vila ) live 20,830 inhabitants (2010, 2004: 17,166 ). The majority of the population speaks the national language Mambai. The average age is 18.0 years ( 2010, 2004: 16.8 years ).
82 % of households in Aileu grow maize, cassava 80%, 72 % coffee, 77 % vegetables, 39 % rice and 23% of coconuts.
The administrator of the sub-district shall be appointed by the Central Government in Dili. In February 2014 the Marcos dos Santos is.
South of the site Aileu was the kingdom of Dailor, one of the many traditional kingdoms of Timor, which were ruled by a Liurai. It appears on a list of Afonso de Castro, a former governor of Portuguese Timor, who performed 47 kingdoms in 1868. In January 1894 Dailor concluded with Portugal a written contract on his vassal status to the colonial power.
1903 failed in Aileu a rebellion against the colonial masters. In January 1912, the village served as the base of the Portuguese in the suppression of the rebellion of Manufahi.
Between 1942 and 1945, the Japanese occupied Portuguese Timor. On 31 August 1942, the place of Aileu Colunas Negras, Timorese allies of the Japanese invaders attacked. Five Portuguese soldiers, several officials and missionaries were killed. Japan pushed this, as well as other incidents, to " a group Westtimoresen " who wanted to settle in the East and had been abused by the Portuguese. A memorial commemorates today in Aileu of the massacre.
In Aileu, Banderahun Fatubossa and there was the end of 1979 Indonesian resettlement camp for East Timorese should be relocated for better control of the occupiers.
In early September 1999, driven from their home during the crisis in East Timor inhabitants of different Sucos of the AHI militia ( Aku Hidup dengan Integrasi / Indonesia). The villages were systematically destroyed and the houses nierdergebrannt. Indonesian military and militia drove around as of September 4, and shot farm animals. On the same day the residents of Fatubossa, Hoholete and Liclaucana ( Suco Fatubossa ) were forced to leave their homes. In the city Aileu they were loaded into trucks and deported in Indonesian West Timor after Atambua. On September 5, Aissirimou was destroyed on September 6 Seloi Painting, September 7 Saboria, on September 8 and September 9 Liurai Hoholau.
Fighters of the East Timorese resistance movement Falintil were packed into the Aileu from 2000 to February 2001, after the United Nations had been put into administration in the country. Later, 600 of the fighters began there with a training to soldiers of the new East Timor Defence Force.