The Academic Art Museum is the oldest museum in Bonn. It houses the antiquities collection of the University of Bonn with over 500 casts of antique statues and bas-reliefs and more than 2000 originals. It is located in a classical building at the southern end of the Hofgarten directly opposite the Electoral Palace.
The collection of plaster casts of the Academic Art Museum has become one of the largest of its kind, and the original collection is the largest collection in North Rhine -Westphalia dar. Latest representative piece in the collection is a Minoan Larnax in marine style.
The building, which houses the Academic Art Museum today, dates back to the 1823-30 created, designed by the University of Bonn architect Hermann Friedrich Waesemann building of the anatomical institute of the University. It refers back to the construction of the anatomy ( Anatomy Theatre) of the Berlin Veterinary School by Carl Gotthard Langhans, however, was significantly revised by Karl Friedrich Schinkel. At the written during this time demonstration room, the rotunda, two side buildings, stood for demonstration and preparation purposes. The complex was used until 1872 by the Faculty of Medicine.
Structural condition and existing surface does not reflect the significance of the collection, the exhibits are located on the premises crowded. A patrons tried to supplement the resources available for rehabilitation and extension. Also with the help of the German Foundation for Monument Protection could be carried out until 2006 renovation work on the floors. The building of the former Anatomy stands as a historic listed building.
The planning for the Academic Art Museum began in 1815 in preparation for the establishment of the Prussian Rhine University, later the University of Bonn, in 1818. Friedrich Gottlieb Welcker was appointed in 1819 to the first head of the antiquities collection and Professor of Classical Archaeology. It was located in the main building of the University, the Electoral Palace and the University Library also housed there.
The first exhibits were 1820 Paris, including probably by French troops commandeered pieces, negotiated their return Prussia. 1827 included the collection by specifying the first catalog already 189 numbers.
Welcker expanded the collection considerably, also favored by the extensive travels in the Mediterranean, which he carried out in the 1840s. Seventy years old he joined in 1854 from his offices at the university back.
The successors Welcker in the 19th century, Friedrich Wilhelm Ritschl, Otto Jahn, Reinhard Kekulé and Georg Loeschcke, managed to increasingly integrate the collection of antiquities in the Archaeological Studies and the incipient critical evaluation of the historical world.
In particular, Reinhard Kekulé made outstanding contributions to the expansion of the collection, as he was able to add numerous acquisitions, including vases and terracottas. He also managed to secure the former anatomy for the collection of antiquities and 1884 still to be expanded to a building for the collection of casts, which joined the classical style of the older buildings in appearance. In 1908 a further extension was added to the Archaeological Institute yet.
Setback and reconstruction after 1945
After 1940 Richard Delbrueck was an emeritus professor of political pressure, the building could be used due to a defective heating only in the summer and due to the war significant collection losses had occurred, knew after 1945 Ernst Langlotz and as his successor in 1969 Nicholas sky man at great personal use the collection rebuild and make the building again all year round.
The head of the antiquities collection
They were down to Friedrich Wilhelm Ritschl also simultaneously professors of Classical Archaeology at the University of Bonn. Since Reinhard Kekulé is the direction of the Museum with the Ordinariate, since heaven man connected to the first Ordinariate.
In Academic Art Museum see now for over 40 years every Sunday at 11.15 clock (except in September and holidays) 45-minute guided tours on the subjects offered by the museum instead. These guides are completely organized by the students of classical archeology and are also planned by them and carried out. Also completely in student hand is the planning and implementation of children's tours, which take place four times a year for 5 to 8 and 9 to 12 - year-old children (admission free) in order to give young visitors an impression of antiquity. The students complete honorary organize next once a year, " Kids Reading Night " in which she - dressed as ancient Greeks - read the children stories from the world of Greek myths.