Although he had to do in his youth some moves, he received regular piano lessons. Fascinated by the Boogie Woogie in 1965 he founded his first band, Ponce de Leon & the Young Ones. Three years later he founded Roomful of Blues. In addition to performing with Roomful of Blues, he studied at the Berklee School of Music in Boston.
His style was heavily influenced by Big Joe Turner and includes different styles like Boogie Woogie, swing and Barrelhouse. His performances are characterized by energy and his live performances are reminiscent of the style of Jerry Lee Lewis.
In 1984 he left the group to go to Europe, where he performed at various festivals. End of the decade, he began with the release of solo albums. After a brief reunion with Roomful of Blues, a collaboration with guitarist Jimmie Vaughan, with whom he led at the Royal Albert Hall as the opening act for Eric Clapton spielte.Die friendship with Eric Clapton began to that he with his own band for Clapton in 1997 opening act worked. He published The entire 1990s further solo albums, but also collaborated with Hal Singer and put his own band together (Al Copley 's Prophet Motive 1999).
As a pianist he played for Lou Rawls, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ruth Brown, Jimmy Witherspoon, Snooks Eaglin, John Hammond Jr., Big Mama Thornton, George " Harmonica " Smith, Otis Rush, Big Walter Horton, Helen Humes, Benny Waters, Hal Singer, Arnett Cobb, Scott Hamilton, Big Jay McNeely, Roy " Good Rockin ' Brown and others or stepped on with them.
- Radio Play ( 2005), One Mind Records OM1205
- Jump On It ( 2003), One Mind Records OM1204
- Rainy Summer ( 2000), One Mind Records OM1203
- Blue Paris Nights (1995), One Mind Records OM1202
- Good Understanding ( 1995), Al Copley & The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Bullseye Blues Records BB9596
- Royal Blue (1991 ), Al Copley & Hal Singer, Black Top Records BT1054
- Rockabilly Pie ( 1990), Suffering Egos Records SE753
- Acoustic 88 (1988 ), Suffering Egos SE752
- Automatic Overdrive (1989 ), Black Top BT 1047, original edition Entitled Ooh -Wow! (1987 ) Suffering Egos SE751
- A Handful of Keys (1986 ), Off Beat Records WIK 52
With Roomful of Blues
- Roomful of Blues (1977 ), MSI Music Distribution
- Let's Have a Party (1979 ), mango
- Hot Little Mama ( 1981), Varrick
- Dressed Up to Get Messed Up (1984 ), Varrick