Life and work
From the age of eight years Price got music lessons for piano, guitar and bass. He first played in several local bands until he in 1957 in Newcastle, the Alan Price Rhythm & Blues Combo founded, which due to the fact that the fans, the stage show as 'animal', referred to in The Animals renamed 1964 ( " the animals " ) been.
After Alan Price had left his place with the Animals as the lead vocalist and leader of the group Eric Burdon, he emerged in 1966 after a creative break back into the music scene and captured with his newly founded Alan Price Set frequently the UK charts. Inform the style was his innovative organ arrangement of his cover version of soul classic I Put a Spell on You by Screamin 'Jay Hawkins, 1968 that Vincent Crane, the organist of Arthur Brown, the inspiration for his instrumental interpretation of this song.
Then Alan Price turned to the television. He worked on a number of television series, where he met Georgie Fame know. The collaboration between the two resulted in the 1971 LP Fame and Price, Price and Fame Together and the hit single Rosetta. The two also wrote the music for the film O Lucky Man, which starred Alan Price.
Since 1973, " The Successful " (O Lucky Man! ) Price also writes from time to time at irregular intervals film music, preferably for the director Lindsay Anderson.
In 1974, the collaboration between the two was over, and Price took the solo album Between Today and Yesterday on, which also contained a hit single with Jarrow Song. 1975 shown with a big orchestra on television as one of the first Rockpalast concerts an appearance by Alan Price in London.
In 1988, Price was succeeded a renewed comeback when his song Changes from the 1973 O Lucky Man soundtrack used in a VW commercial film and he appeared on the charts once again. Occasional guest appearances with his old band The Animals were the meantime possible.
Since March 2009 he is touring again intensively England.
- Any Day Now (1965 )
- I Put a Spell on You - 1966
- Hi- Lili, Hi -Lo - 1966
- Willow Weep for Me 1966
- Simon Smith and His Amazing Dancing Bear - 1967
- The House That Jack Built - 1967
- Shame - 1967
- Do not Stop the Carnival - 1968
- Rosetta - 1971
- Jarrow Song - 1974
- Baby of Mine / Just for You - 1979
- Changes - 1988
- The Price to Play - Decca 1966 Repertoire 1996 ( as Alan Price Set)
- A Price on His Head - Decca 1967 Repertoire 1996 ( as Alan Price Set)
- The World of Alan Price - Decca 1970
- Fame & Price / Price & Fame / Together - CBS 1971 ( with Georgie Fame )
- O Lucky Man! - Warner 1973 ( Soundtrack)
- Between Today and Yesterday - Warner 1974
- Metropolitan Man - Polydor 1975
- Performing Price - Polydor 1975 ( live album with orchestra)
- Shouts Across the Street - Polydor 1976
- Two Of A Kind - Polydor 1977 ( Alan Price & Rob Hoeke )
- The Story Of Alan Price - Polydor 1997 ( Compilation)
- Alan Price - United Artists Records 1977
- England My England - Jet Records 1978
- Alan Price - Decca 1980 ( Compilation)
- The House Of The Rising Sun - Accord Records 1981
- Travellin ' Man - Trojan Records 1986
- Liberty - BMG Records 1989
- Geordie Boy: The Anthology - Castle 2002