Template: Infobox city in Turkey / Maintenance / County
Alanya is a seaside resort on the Turkish Riviera and lies 135 km east of Antalya. Alanya is the capital of the eponymous district in the east of the province of Antalya.
Origin of the name
The city's name dates from the 13th century, from Ala- iye, City of Ala. Since the city in the 13th century Alaeddin as a winter residence of the Seljuk Sultan of Rum Kai Kobad I. was used, the city was called after the Sultan Alaiye. In Latin sources the city is called usually Alaya. The present name was given the Alanya city in 1933 by Kemal Atatürk.
The ancient Greek name of Alanya is Korakesion ( German Rabenhorst ). It belonged to the region of Pamphylia, but is sometimes also counted for buffing Cilicia.
The name refers to the far- jutting into the sea hilly promontory on which the ancient city was built. The top of the hill was equipped in the Hellenistic period with a defensive wall. At the beginning of the 2nd century BC, the city could be a siege by Antiochus III. oppose. Then it became a base Cilician pirates. Middle of the 2nd century BC, built the pirate chief Diototos Tryphon there a fortress. The pirates were finally defeated by Pompey in 67 BC. In the Roman Empire Korakesion minted its own coins. On a late Roman Diocese of the city, the titular Coracesium the Roman Catholic Church is declining.
In Byzantine times the city was called Kalon Oros ( beautiful mountain). From this time a church was built in the fortress (11th century). 1221 Seljuk Sultan Alaeddin took of Kai Kobad I. the city and named it Alaiye. The ruler Kyr Vart was deported to Konya Akşehir. Thereafter, married Kyr Varts daughter the Sultan and was later in Kayseri in Huand - Hatun - House ( 1237 ) buried.
After the decline of the Seljuk Empire, the area was part of the Ottoman Empire in 1471. With Tarsus together it belonged in 1571 to Cyprus, 1864 back to Konya and Antalya since 1868 and to this province.
The Castle Hill
Castle Hill consists of three sectors, which are covered respectively by walls. For external sector includes important buildings from the Seljuk period as the shipyard and the Red Tower (Turkish Kızıl Kule ). The tower is 33 m high and was from 1224 to 1228 to protect the harbor built. In the central sector are a bathhouse and Suleymaniye Mosque. The third sector is the Citadel - Iç Kale, the origin of the plant. There were next to the Byzantine Church of the Sultan's palace, cisterns and barracks.
1948 in the harbor works Damlataş cave was discovered. The first investigations initiated a citizen of Alanya, Galip Dere. He had heard from Germany of the healing effects of the cave air and let confirm the healing effects on the respiratory system in such studies. He received permission to increase the input area and then sent photos to newspapers all over Turkey. Thus began the tradition of tourism in Alanya.
In 2012 Alanya received more than 50,000 German tourists .. In the summer of 2013 German airlines were first landing permits for the airport Gazipasa, which is about 40 kilometers away from Alanya.
- Alanya Castle - In the 2nd century BC, this was further fortified and expanded.
- Red tower in brick construction on the harbor, 33 m high; the tower is used as an ethnographic museum.
- Alanya Castle with old city center, mosque and caravanserai
- District " Tophane " between the castle wall and the Red Tower
- At the foot of the castle hill is the Damlatas Caves ( cave ) at a uniform temperature of 22 ° C and 96 % humidity
- Archaeological Museum
- Cleopatra beach in the west of the city
- Since 1998 officially accessible " Dimhöhle " - about 15 km from the center
- The Asiklar Cave ( Asiklar Mağarası )
- Dimcay the river with many " picnic restaurants "
- Further east the town of Anamur with the lovely castle and the historic town Anemurion.
Alanya has partnerships with the following cities:
- Greece Nea Ionia, Greece
- Germany Gladbeck, Germany
- Poland Wodzisław Slaski, Poland
- Austria Schwechat, Austria
- Hungary Keszthely, Hungary
Foreigners in Alanya
In Alanya the largest number of German emigrants living (10,000 in 2006) in Turkey. Due to the many Germans Alanya is sometimes referred to by the living in the Mediterranean Turks as " Almanya " ( Germany ).
As the only city in Turkey Alanya has a Ausländerbeirat from volunteer members of different nations. He may participate in an advisory city council meetings on relevant topics. Foreigners need for counseling can contact the council.
The immigration police near the bus station ( " OTOGAR " ), be applied for residence permits if the stay is longer than 90 days at a time, employing a German and English speaking officials.
In addition, imported from Germany newspapers and printed in Antalya edition of the BILD newspaper ( no special Turkish content ), there are other published in Turkey German language magazines, including the " CLEO ", is from January 2013 " Kleo " written (monthly, contributions in German and English) and the " TURQUOISE " ( fortnightly with German contributions ) and " Orange" ( weekly supplement to a Turkish newspaper, German and English contributions).
An equally large group of Russian emigrants, in contrast to the Germans own school. In addition, many Scandinavians in Alanya, especially Danes and Dutch, who focus on the city's eastern district Mahmutlar live.
In Alanya there are a Lutheran pastor who keeps a church service twice a month. Alanya is officially a branch of the Catholic registered in Antalya St. Nicholas Club. On February 25, opened in 2006, a Protestant church in Alanya, the highest local dignitaries of the Islamic religious community participated as guest of honor.
Impressions of Alanya
View of Alanya with port and red tower
Historical towers of the fortress wall in Alanya
The Red Tower
Port of Alanya fortress wall
Alanya Castle at sunset
Castle Hill with the old city center, mosque and caravanserai
Byzantine church in the citadel - Iç Kale