Albbruck is a municipality on the Upper Rhine in the Waldshut district in the south of Baden -Württemberg.

  • 2.1 Spatial Development
  • 2.2 Coat of arms of former municipalities
  • 3.1 municipal
  • 3.2 Mayor
  • 3.3 partnerships


Albbruck is located on the southern edge of the Black Forest, at the mouth of the Alps, the Rhine, which forms the border with Switzerland here.

Neighboring communities

The municipality is bordered to the north by roof mountain, on the east by the county town of Waldshut -Tiengen and Dogern, to the south by the Swiss municipalities Schwaderloch and Mettauertal, on the west by Laufen castle and Görwihl.

Community structure

The municipality with the Albbruck to the 1970s independent municipalities Birkingen Birndorf, Book, Schachen and Unteralpfen include a total of 20 villages, hamlets, farms and houses.

The municipality Albbruck within the frontiers of December 31, 1974 include the village Albbruck with Alb and the vilage Albert and Kiesenbach. For the former municipality includes the villages Birkingen Birkingen and Kuchelbach, the hamlet Bohland and the homestead Behlen. For the former municipality includes the villages Birndorf Birndorf and Schadenbirndorf and the homestead mill. For the former town book include the village book, the hamlet Etzwihl, heath, Hechwihl and Steinbach and the houses Görwihler web and Hohenfels. For the former municipality Schachen part of the village Schachen. For the former municipality Unteralpfen include the village Unteralpfen and the houses Rose and youth center.

In the territory of the former municipality of book is the Outbound castle Rihburg or Iburg.


The eponymous village and its districts Albbruck Kiesenbach, Alb and Albert was first mentioned in 1403. The district Birkingen was first mentioned in 814 as " Birch Inga " and initially belonged to the monastery of St. Gall, until he fell in 1528 to the monastery of St. Blaise. Birndorf 814 was also first mentioned in a document. The district has a three-nave Romanesque church. The church belonged to the Teutonic Order, which had its seat in Castle Beuggen. Since 1271 Dinghof belonged to the monastery of St. Blaise in Birndorf. The district book is mentioned as " Puach " in the St. Gallen document book.

In the sandstone quarries at Unteralpfen was built around 1850 a " fragment" of a Labyrinthodontia sp. discovered. It was destroyed in the Natural History Museum in Karlsruhe in bomb attacks in 1942.

1929-1934 the Albbruck- Dogern was built under the direction of the Swiss civil engineer Heinrich Eduard Gruner, for the 1933 honorary citizen in Albbruck was.

On April 2, 1945 Albbruck target of an air raid. 4 people lost their lives.

On 1 July 1991, the archives of the county have been merged into a newly built warehouse in the industrial area to the county archives of the district of Waldshut.

Spatial development

On April 1, 1924, the formerly independent communities Albbruck, Alb and Kiesenbach were pooled for the "new" community Albbruck. In 1936 the community was incorporated Alb in this community. In the course of municipal reform in Baden- Württemberg, the two were on 1 January 1973 incorporated previously independent municipalities Birndorf and Schachen and the church today Albbruck regenerated from the communities Albbruck, Birkingen, book and Unteralpfen by the union on January 1, 1975.

Coat of arms of former municipalities


Parish council

The municipal election held on 7 June 2009 yielded the following distribution of seats:


Current mayor is Stefan Kaiser.


Albbruck has since 1965 an official partnership with the Italian community Carmignano di Brenta, Veneto, Padova.

Economy and infrastructure

The largest local company is the " paper mill Albbruck GmbH" with a capacity of 310,000 tonnes of paper / year. In January 2011 it passed by purchase of the Finnish owner MYLLYKOSKI also to the Finnish company UPM -Kymmene, which closed the paper mill at the beginning of 2012. UPM sold both the area and the factory at the Karl- group Innernzell who wants to settle there businesses.

Sons and daughters of the town

  • Johann Albiez (1654-1727), Salpetersieder and first leader of the Salpetererunruhen
  • Jakob Ebner (1873-1960) was born in Unteralpfen, pastors and local historian
  • Joshua Leander Gampp (1889-1969), born in book, graphic artist, painter and high school teachers
  • Herbert Tröndle ( born August 24, 1919), born in Kiesenbach, legal scholars