Albrecht Dold studied mathematics from 1948 at the Ruprecht -Karls- University of Heidelberg, where he rer at Herbert Seifert Dr. 1954. nat. received his doctorate ( About fibers as fiber homotopy equivalence of spaces. Mathematical Journal Bd.62, 1955, p.111). 1956 to 1958 he was at the Institute for Advanced Study active, a private research institute in Princeton, New Jersey where Albert Einstein worked. In 1958 he qualified as a professor in Heidelberg. In 1960 he was at New York's Columbia University in 1962 at the University of Zurich and from 1963 at the University of Heidelberg, where he was professor of pure mathematics until his retirement in 1996.
He was married to mathematics historian Yvonne Dold - Samplonius.
Albrecht Dold dealt mainly with algebraic topology and Homo logical algebra. He wrote a popular textbook on algebraic topology, Springer -Verlag, in which he was also co-editor of the Lecture Notes in Mathematics. He worked among others on the Kobordismentheorie of René Thom. His work on fixed point theorems have applications among others in economics. His doctoral count Eberhard Friday, Volker doll and Carl -Friedrich Bödigheimer.
From 1984 to 1985 he was president of the German Mathematical Society. From 1995-98 he was vice-president of the International Mathematical Union. He was secretary of the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences of the Heidelberg Academy of Sciences from 1991 to 1994 and thereafter by 1999 representatives of the Secretary.
He was in 1964 one of the editors of Lecture Notes in Mathematics Springer Verlag.
Awards and honors
- Lectures on Algebraic Topology. Springer -Verlag, basic teachings of Mathematical Sciences, 1972, 2nd edition 1980, new come out in the series Classics in Mathematics 2004, ISBN 3,540,586,601th
- Dold: Fixed point indices of iterated maps. Inventiones Mathematicae Bd.74, 1983.
- Dold: Fixed Point Theory and Homotopy Theory. In: Symposium in Algebraic Topology in Honor of Josef Adem. AMS 1982.
- Dold: The Fixed Point Index of Fibre - Preserving Maps. Inventiones Mathematicae, Bd.25, 1974, p.281.
- Dold: homotopy and cohomology. DMV Annual Report 1966.
- Dold: Partitions of unity in the theory of fibrations. Ann. of Math (2) 78 1963 223-255.
- Dold, doll: homology of non- additive functors. Applications. Ann. Inst Fourier Grenoble 11 1961 201-312.
- Dold, Thom: Quasifaserungen and infinite symmetric products, Ann. of Math ( 2) 67 (1958 ), pp. 239-281
- Dold: generating the Thomschen algebra. Mathematical Journal Bd.65, 1956, p.25.