ALCO PA refers to a family series of diesel locomotives with axle formula (A1A ) ( A1A) for use on passenger trains. The locomotives were built 1946-1953 by the American Locomotive Company ( ALCo ) and General Electric ( GE) together in Schenectady, New York. It both locomotives with cab ( A-units ) called PA and führerstand loose booster ( B-units ) with the designation PB were built.
Two different models were offered: PA -1 and PB-1 with 2,000 hp ( 1.5 MW) were built 1946-1950, during 1950-1953 the slightly stronger PA-2 and PB- 2 with 2250 hp ( 1.7 MW) were built. Improved PA-2 and PB -2 are commonly referred to as PA-3 and PB -3. ALCo even planned as PA-3 and PB -3 types with an engine power of 2400 hp ( 1.8 MW), but these were no longer being built. From the different engine apart, the differences between the locomotives of the series PA-1 and those of the PA series -2 were minimal. Locomotives of the series " PA 3" differed externally by the absence of the " eyebrow" trim on the grating above the driver's cab and the porthole behind the radiator shutters. The built- in the PA -2 and PB -2 locomotives recent manufacturing date water-cooled turbocharger and other minor improvements to the machinery were often retrofitted under major repairs or maintenance work on older vehicles.
As well as the locomotives of the ALCO FA- series possessed those of the PA - series about a characteristic design with a long, straight nose, a tall, barred headlights sat at the head in a square enclosure, sloping windshields, and trim behind the cab windows, which the lines extended and could appear slimmer. The design of this handle on elements of the Erie -built series of Fairbanks - Morse, which was built by General Electric, the supplier of electrical equipment for the PA series, in Erie ( Pennsylvania). GE's product designer Ray Patten drew the design of the PA and PB series, and it seems possible that he thereby chose the plans of the Erie -built series as the starting point and the nose lengthened and angular designed to the locomotive a " more aggressive " appearance lend. Many items of the PA series were interchangeable with the FA series.
Railway enthusiasts denote the PA - series as one of the most beautiful diesel locomotive series and as " steam locomotive honorary ". The latter is due to a peculiarity of the diesel engine type used ALCO 244 because when accelerating initially thick black clouds of smoke welled from the chimneys until the turbocharger had reached a certain speed.
The used V16 diesel engine ALCO 244 also resulted in the decline of the PA series. The market introduction of this engine was done in haste, and he turned out to be unreliable. Therefore, the locomotives of the PA series could not compete on the dominated already by the General Motors Electro-Motive Division with its E- series market. The sold to the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway triple unit from the locomotives 51L, 51A and 51B was converted in August 1954 on engines built by EMD 16- 567C with 1750 hp ( 1.3 MW ) to improve its reliability. The later introduced, significantly improved engine type ALCO 251 came too late to make up for the resulting from the unreliability of the ALCO 244 image damage again. Even before the ALCO 251 came in greater numbers to the market, General Electric in 1953, the partnership with ALCO completed and brought their own diesel-electric locomotives on the market.
Three locomotives of type PA-2 were delivered to the Companhia Paulista de Estrada de Ferro in São Paulo ( Brazil). This operates a 1,600 mm broad gauge network. These locomotives were equipped with reinforced Schienenräumern. Two of these locomotives still exist.
Today there are 6 units of the PA series. Two of them are located in the Companhia Paulista de Estrada de Ferro in Brazil ( see above).
Four others ( Nos. 16 to 19) are taken from the supply to the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. These locomotives were sold to the 1967 Delaware & Hudson Railway. In the years 1974 and 1975 they were rebuilt by Morrison Knudsen and received V12 engines of the type ALCO 251 Morrison - Knudsen called these rebuilt locomotives as PA - fourth They were later sold to Mexico. Two of them ( Nos. 16 and 18) are now back in the United States. Unit No. 16 was severely damaged in a derailment in Mexico and will again get the Warbonnet the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway for the Smithsonian Institution. Unit No. 18 is privately owned and is to be made as Nickel Plate Road No. 190 operational again.
The other two surviving locomotives ( Nos. 17 and 19) are, now in the Museo Nacional de los Ferrocarriles Mexicanos in Puebla in the Mexican state of the same name. One of the locomotives is operational. No.17 carries the colors of the Southern Pacific Train " Coast Daylight".