Soth studied at Sarah Lawrence College in Yonkers, New York. He received a grant from the McKnight and Jerome Foundation and the 2003 Santa Fe Prize for Photography. In 2004 he participated in the Whitney Biennial and published his first book of photographs, which in the next few years more followed. Many of his recordings makes Soth 8x10 (see his photo with camera ).
2004 Soth was nominated for inclusion on Magnum Photos since 2008 he is a full member of the Association. His photographs have been exhibited around the world ( 2011). His works have been purchased and shown by various museums.
Soth lives with his wife and children in Minneapolis. In 2010 he founded the publishing company Little Brown Mushroom. His surname is pronounced as both The English word.
- 2011: Alec Soth: Broken Manual, Friedrich Loock Galerie, Berlin
- 2011: Alec Soth: From Here to There, Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- 2010: Alec Soth: Black Line of Woods, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, Georgia, United States
- 2008: Alec Soth. The space between us, Fotomuseum Winterthur, Winterthur, Zurich, Switzerland
- 2008: Alec Soth: Mississippi and Niagara, Galerie Nationale du Jeu de Paume, Paris, France
- 2006: Alec Soth: Niagara, Weinstein Gallery, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- 2006: Alec Soth: Niagara, living machine, Berlin
- 2006: Alec Soth: Niagara, Gagosian Gallery, Manhattan, New York City, New York
- 2005: Roger Ballen, Alec Soth and Vera Lutter, Gagosian Gallery, New York City
- 2004: Alec Soth: Sleeping by the Mississippi, Stephen Wirtz Gallery, San Francisco, California, USA
- 2004: Alec Soth: Sleeping by the Mississippi, Yossi Milo Gallery, New York City
Collections ( 2011)
- Albright -Knox Gallery of Art, Buffalo, New York, USA
- Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn, New York City, New York
- Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., USA
- Israel Museum, Jerusalem, Israel
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
- Minneapolis Institute of Arts, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- Museum of Contemporary Photography, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Texas, USA
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco, California, USA
- Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- Whitney Museum of American Art, Manhattan, New York City, New York
- 2011: Broken Manual, Steidl, Göttingen ISBN 978-3-86930-199-0.
- 2010: Gus the Great, Sweepers, Heidelberg / Berlin ISBN 978-3-86828-173-6.
- 2010: From Here to There, Alec Soth 's America, Siri Engberg (ed.): Hatje Cantz, Ostfildern ISBN 978-3-7757-2750-1.
- 2009: Sleeping by the Mississippi, 3rd. ed; Steidl, Göttingen ISBN 3-86521-007-4.
- 2007: Fashion Magazine. Paris - Minnesota, Magnum Photos, New York City.
- 2007: Dog Days, Bogotá, Steidl, Göttingen ISBN 978-3-86521-451-5.
- 2006: Niagara, Steidl, Göttingen ISBN 3-86521-233-6.