Almo Collegio Capranica

The Almo Collegio Capranica (Latin Collegium Almum Capranicense, dt: Reverend Capranica College ) is the oldest and best known Pontifical College in Rome, it was named after its founder Domenico Capranica. The titling " Almo " or " Almum " means " venerable " or " life-giving " and points to the fighters who sacrificed during the " Sacco di Roma " in 1527, their lives in defense of the Pope. Patron Saint of the Capranica College is the Saint Agnes of Rome.

History

Cardinal Domenico Capranica (1400-1458) proposed the establishment of this seminary young people of the city of Rome offer a priestly formation. Here he had thought of men who did not come from wealthy families of Rome. On January 5, 1457, the Almo Collegio Capranica was founded. Capranicia presented the economic and financial independence safely and thus the educational institution was opened in 1459 for about 30 students. With the guidance of the seminar was the "Roman Confraternity of the Most Holy Redeemer ", who was also Capranica, entrusted. Pope Sixtus IV (1471-1484) issued in 1478 authorizing the College at the Palazzo Capranica close to the church of Santa Maria in Aquiro erect. The candidates for the priesthood completed her studies at the universities in Rome, since the middle of the 16th century studied the seminarians at the Collegium Romanum, which was led by the Jesuits. For the first cardinal protector of the college in 1592, Cardinal Bishop of Albano, Michele Bonelli, appointed. The Rector selected students for a one-year term. With the Pope Alexander VII (1655-1667) carried out reform changed the setting up of the Rector and went over to the Holy See.

Between 1797 and 1807, the college had to stop his teaching and began after the French Revolution and the end of Napoleonic rule to rebuild. In the 19th century, the Institute has developed into an outstanding academic seminary and cooperated with the Pontifical Gregorian University and the Pontifical Ecclesiastical Academy. Pope Benedict XV. (1914-1922), a former pupil of Collegio Capranica entrusted the seminar in 1917 with the liturgical service of the Patriarchal Santa Maria Maggiore. On 21 January 1957, after a nearly four -year period of restructuring and reorganization, the new seminar by Pope Pius XII was. (1939-1958) inaugurated. A re-orientation and academic reform after the Second Vatican Council led to a further theological and cultural renewal. In 1971, Pope Paul VI. (1963-1978) a new management organization in place. The College is now led by a " Episcopal Commission ". Pope John Paul II (1978-2005) in 1982 approved the new statutes of the college Capranica.

Former seminarians

de