Alois Riehl was born the second of five children of the innkeeper Joseph Riehl and his wife Marie on the " Riehlhof " near Bolzano in South Tyrol. After visiting the Franciscan school in Bolzano and the high school he studied philosophy, geography and history at the universities of Vienna, Munich, Innsbruck and Graz. In 1866 he passed the state examination for Higher teaching in Graz. In 1868 he received a doctorate in phil. at the University of Innsbruck.
In 1870 he completed his habilitation at the University of Graz, where he initially worked lecturer and from 1873 ao Professor of Philosophy. In 1878 he was appointed full professor of philosophy. In 1882 he received an appointment at the Albert -Ludwigs- University of Freiburg as successor to Wilhelm diaper band. In 1896 he was appointed to the Christian -Albrechts- University of Kiel, 1898 at the University of Halle. 1905 Riehl successor, Wilhelm Dilthey in the chair of philosophy at the Friedrich- Wilhelm University in Berlin.
Riehl served as PhD supervisor, inter alia, the dissertations by Oswald Spengler on the topic The Metaphysical basic idea of Heraclitus' philosophy and of Adhemar Yellow ( 1910). Riehl was on March 5, 1906 alongside Max Sering and Max Lenz to the examiners in the viva voce of Alice Salomon, which she passed with distinction. Alois Riehl was a co-supervisor of Carl Stumpf, who holds a doctorate Robert Musil. The candidate had filed on January 31, 1908 his dissertation on contribution to the assessment of doctrines Do it and get the note laudabile.
1906 Sofie and Alois Riehl commissioned the twenty -year-old Ludwig Mies van der Rohe with the planning of her house, "Villa over the lake " ( called by the Riehl's also " Klosterli ") in the Spitzweg alley in the villas Neubabelsberg in Potsdam -Babelsberg.
1907 made a group of German university professors, including Riehl, Richard Oehler, Richard Heinze and Hans Vaihingen, the official proposal to award the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1908 to Elisabeth Förster - Nietzsche.
Josef Riehl was a brother of Alois Riehl. His wife Sofie Riehl, born Reyer, was an aunt of Frieda Gross, born Schloffer, the wife of the Austrian physician, psychoanalyst and revolutionary Otto Gross.
Alois Riehl was buried in the Old Cemetery of Kleinglienicke. A tomb - designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe - graced a long time the grave.
Within the neo-Kantianism are Robert Reininger, the work on the psychophysical problem and the value of philosophy published, and Alois Riehl as representatives of criticism: For Riehl, philosophy is not a philosophical doctrine, but above all criticism of knowledge. Riehl emphasizes a continuation of Kant, by new discoveries of natural science and mathematics (eg, non- Euclidean geometry) are included.
A determination of the position of Alois Riehl succeed additionally his student Richard Hönigswald: The basic problems of the given and of human cognition are facing each other. Philosophical studies of the thing in itself based on psychological considerations in mind, in which a link between consciousness and the object is described. This language is necessary for consciousness, and only through language, the objectivity of an object are produced.
- Realistic Broad. A philosophical treatise of universal and necessary experience terms. Leuschner and Lubensky, Graz 1870.
- Morals and Dogma. Gerold, Vienna, 1871.
- About the concept and form of philosophy. A general introduction to the study of philosophy. Duncker, Berlin, 1872.
- The philosophical criticism and its importance to the positive science. History and System. 3 volumes, Leipzig 1876-1887: Volume 1/ 1876 History and method of philosophical criticism.
- Volume 2/ 1879 The sensual and logical foundations of cognition.
- Volume 3/1887: For the philosophy of science and metaphysics.
- As an introduction to the philosophy of the present. Eight lectures. Teubner, Leipzig, 1903.
- Humanistic objectives of math and science education. Paper presented at the Association of Friends of the humanistic Gymnasium in Berlin and Brandenburg province on December 4, 1908. Weidmann, Berlin, 1909.
- Giordano Bruno. To commemorate 17 February in 1600. 2nd ed Engelmann, Leipzig 1900.
- Plato - A popular - scientific lecture. Niemeyer, Halle 1912.
- Fichte's University plan. Speech to celebrate the birthday of His Majesty the Emperor and King ( Wilhelm II ) held in the auditorium of the Royal Friedrich -Wilhelms University in Berlin on 27 January 1910. Buchdruckerei University, Berlin oJ (1910).