Altenstadt, Upper Bavaria
Old City is a community in the Upper Bavarian district of Weilheim -Schongau and seat of the administrative community Old City.
- 3.1 municipal
- 3.2 Local Taxes
- 4.1 monuments
Old Town is located in the Oberland in the Pfaff angle.
By 15 BC, the Romans conquered by a battle between Rough Lech mountain and Unterdießen against the Likatier the area. Old town is located at the intersection of two ancient Roman roads, the Via Claudia Augusta and the old salt road from Kempten to Salzburg. In the area of today's Old City, the Romans built a Vorsorgungslager and called it " Francesco Nova ". The name of the camp is not scientifically proven. Old Town is the former Schongau - a large part of the inhabitants moved in the 13th century only a few kilometers further into the founded on the Lech Umlaufberg settlement at Lech and took the town by. The old settlement was simply old city, the old town of Schongau called.
Around the middle of the 12th century is likely the former castle, the castle Burklaberg called the Lech Rainer Guelph on the castle Lach, also Schlossberg, have arisen. This castle no longer exists today. Old town belonged to Rentamt Munich and the court Schongau of the Electorate of Bavaria.
After the end of the Second World War in 1945 the Old town belonged to the American occupation zone. The American military administration set up a DP camp to accommodate so-called Displaced Persons ( DP). Most of them came from Poland. The camp was supervised by the UNRRA and was closed in 1950.
Significant is the Romanesque Basilica of St. Michael ( Old City) with remains of medieval wall painting and several examples of Romanesque sculpture. The basilica remained in their Roman form, because the old city-dwellers according to the resettlement of most of the residents did not have the money for expensive modifications. 1965, the Church of the title of a Papal Basilica was awarded minor. Noteworthy are inside the basilica:
- Architectural sculpture,
- Baptismal font and
- Which dated to approximately 1210/20 Triumph Cross group of which is the larger than life crucifix, called the " Great God of the Old City ", original; the attendant figures Mary and John, however, are copies. The originals of the attendant figures were sold in 1867 to finance a church renovation at the Bavarian National Museum and are exhibited there. basilica
On 1 May 1978, until then independent municipality Schwab Niederhofen was incorporated.
The municipal tax revenue amounted in 2008 2.262.000 €, of which amounted to the trade tax revenues ( net) € 538,000.
Culture and sights
Between Old Town and Schongau the federal highway 17 north slightly west swung to the south in an open deep position, on its western side runs the eastern municipal boundary runs. Old town is here on the subplan same exit Schongau-West/Altenstadt connected. About the road cut old town is connected to four road bridges and a Fußgänger-/Fahrradwegbrücke with Schongau. About one of these bridges lead the state road in 2014 from the northwest from Kaufbeuren Osterzell north at the Center Old City's past, continues in the direction östiche about Schongau and then to the right of Lech north over Birkland of apple village. From north to south crosses the of Hohenfurch through the district Schwab Niederhofen upcoming county road WM 6 Old City, the south of the site the B472 crosses and leads to Burggen. In addition, a community link road leads west towards Schwabbruck.
From 1923 there were in the Old City a station on the railway line Kaufbeuren -Schongau. In 1972, the passenger and freight transport in 1992 was stopped and the track closed down.
In the Old City and the Franz -Josef-Strauss -Kaserne is (simultaneously Army Airfield Old Town) in which there is the Airborne and Air Transport School and a sports promotion group of the Bundeswehr.
1944, the establishment of Stäble plant was moved to the Old Town (South Roman Road ). The Stäble - works were later on in the Agfa Group.