American Association of University Women
American Association of University Women ( AAUW ) is an American organization that for the equality of women advocates, particularly in the field of education and academic research. It was created in 1921 by the merger of the Association of Collegiate Alumnae and the Southern Association of College Women. The headquarters of the AAUW is located in Washington, DC, added about 1,000 additional offices in the United States. The AAUW had in 2011 more than 100,000 members.
Stand original goal in the foreground, to promote the academic career of women, later supplemented, among other demands for equal treatment of girls and boys in U.S. schools, freedom of choice of women to abortion and family-friendly policy, the program of the AAUW.
The organization has awarded since its inception regularly scholarships to women who are employed in academia. By 2011, a total of $ 83 million was paid out to over 11,000 scholarship.
The most important precursor of AAUW was the Association of Collegiate Alumnae (ACA, German: compound of graduates ). The idea of establishing such an organization was formed on November 28, 1881 at a meeting in Boston to the Ellen Swallow Richards and Marion Talbot ( 1858-1948 ) 15 college graduates invited. The ACA was officially founded on January 14, 1882 in Boston by 65 graduates from eight different U.S. universities. One of the main initiators of the organization included not only Richards and Talbot Alice Freeman Palmer. The objectives of the ACA passed in the formation of a network between the academics of the country, the establishment of standards for the training of women at universities and the establishment of women-specific scholarships.
In October 1889, the Western Association of Collegiate Alumnae ( WACA ) founded in 1883, went up in the ACA. The year before, the WACA had awarded the first scholarship from the organization.
In March 1921, the ACA and in 1903 founded the Southern Association of College Women to the American Association of University Women joined. In the same year the AAUW moved into a building in Washington, DC, two blocks from the White House.
From 1923 to 1926, the AAUW committees established for the promotion of adult education, the visual arts and to improve the legal and economic situation of women.
Until 1931, 50 years after the first meeting of the founders, the organization had built a total of 521 branches and won about 36,800 members.
- Marie Curie received 1920 156.413 dollars for the purchase of a gram of radium
- Ida Henrietta Hyde 1893 as one of the first women to a Fellowship of the ACA
- Sandra Day O'Connor was in 1988 awarded the AAUW Achievement Award
- Jeannette Rankin was in 1976 awarded the AAUW Achievement Award
- Florence Siebert (1897-1991) in 1943 was awarded the AAUW Achievement Award