Anderson Lake (British Columbia)
The Anderson Lake is a lake, which is about 40 km west of Lillooet in the Canadian province of British Columbia. It is 21 km long and covers an area of approximately 28.5 km ². Main tributary is the River Gates, main drain of the Seton River, which flows into the Seton Lake and further flows into the Fraser River.
The Seton and Anderson Lake was originally a contiguous lake, which, however, was divided by a landslide years ago at least 8,000. The Seton Portage, the main path during the Fraser Canyon Gold Rush, the years 1858 to 1859 was for the Douglas Road was of great importance.
Is the south-eastern flank of the Bendor Range on the north side of the lake. At its foot, the British Columbia Railway was built, which is now part of Canadian National Railways. She was originally part of the Pacific Great Eastern Railway. A path leads from D' Arcy on the McGillivray Pass to the gold mining places Bralorne and Pioneer.
At least two villages were in pre-European time at the lake. These were Nkua'tkwa and Nka'int of the Lillooet, as the St'at'imc were called, lay in the territory of the lake. The resident groups were attacked in the early 19th century by about 500 men, who included, among others to the Shuswap and the Okanagan. Between the groups, there were tensions, but was felt to common language, culture and trade as too strong binding forces to let it come to open war. They were later called Seton Lake and Anderson Lake band. 1974 were counted 144 members of the latter, of which 77 were living as residents in Anderson Lake Reserve. 1992 there were 82
The first European in the area was Francis Ermatinger of the Hudson's Bay Company. He went in 1827 from Fort Kamloops over the Peseline or Pasilico Lake (now Seton and Anderson Lakes ) and the Li -Li What [ Lillooet River ].
Alexander Caulfield Anderson (1814-1884) of the Hudson's Bay Company named the lake after his grandfather, Dr. James Anderson. He had the area studied in order to find a path for fur traders from Fort Kamloops to the lower Fraser Valley. In 1858, he received from Governor James Douglas commissioned a route from Harrison Lake on the lakes in the region according to Lillooet to locate, which represented the main gateway to the gold fields at the upper Fraser and Cariboo area ( Cariboo Gold Rush ). On this occasion he named the second lake to his late cousin Colonel Alexander Seton. After the submerged ship, whose troops Seton had commanded, the connecting road Birkenhead Strait was called. The Douglas Road was built from 1858, but they came quickly into disuse, although it was often repaired and rebuilt.
The first European-founded settlement on the lake was created in 1858 with Port Anderson, now known as D' Arcy, at the south end of the lake. From there we went by canoe, even before the Wagon Road was built, with two ferries to the north end of the lake, where a nearly 3 km long portage had to be overcome in order to get into the Seton Lake. At the end of this lake it was already close to the first gold mining locations. In September of the same year of the founding of Port Anderson N'Quatqua were pushed into a reserve. Their chief Jack Thomas signed 1911 Lillooet Declaration, with which the various groups who considered themselves to them, wanted to fight against the expropriation of land.
During the railway construction which should connect the Atlantic with the Pacific coast of Canada, was created in order to develop even secondary ones, the Pacific Great Eastern Railway, which also touched on the Anderson Lake. She joined the Howe Sound north of Vancouver on the Pacific with Prince George, where the train should arrive by around 750 km. During this time, Anderson Port received its present name after the politician Thomas D' Arcy McGee, who was an opponent of the annexation of Canada to the United States. He was assassinated on April 7, 1868.
Lakeside is the place D' Arcy or N'Quatqua and McGillivray Falls. Here Japanese- Canadians and Japanese were interned during the Second World War. However, the conditions were not as brutal as in other places. The remoteness of the place made it possible to use the men in the timber industry.
Since 1999, the Land Management is in the hands of N'Quatqua, which at the lake include two reserves. These are 5 Anderson Lake with an area of 594.6 ha and 177 ha Nequatque 1, practically the village N'Quatqua corresponds to the mouth of the Gates River in the Anderson Lake.