John Angelo Poffo ( born April 10, 1925 in Downers Grove, Illinois, † March 4, 2010 in Sarasota, Florida ) was an American professional wrestler and promoter. He led the league a few years International Championship Wrestling, which held events in Tennessee, Kentucky and Arkansas. He is also the father of "Macho Man" Randy Savage and Lanny Poffo, who were also active as a wrestler.
Angelo Poffo was the son of Italian immigrants to the world. At DePaul University was Poffo catcher of the baseball team. He also studied sports and was a competitive fighter at bay. After college, he joined the United States Navy. During this time he set a world record for sit-ups. He managed 6,033 sit-ups in four hours and 10 minutes.
Poffo began wrestling in 1948 in Karl Pojellos training hall in Illinois. He had in 1949 against Ruffy Silverstein His first match. Except under his real name, he took up as a masked wrestler The Masked Miser and also worked as a manager. In 1950 he became a heel. In the 1950s he worked with Bronco Lubich. He won the NWA United States Heavyweight Championship (Chicago version) 1958.
Together with Chris Markoff, he served from 1966 as a tag team, " The Devil's Duo", their manager Bobby Heenan was. In 1973 he formed the tag team " The Graduates " with Ken Dillinger. In the 1970s, he appeared as The Carpetbagger in a yellow -and-blue costume for Emile Dupre's Atlantic Grand Prix Wrestling in the Maritimes of Canada to. When his sons were old enough, he bought into the promotion. From 1979 to 1983 he was a promoter for International Championship Wrestling in Kentucky, where his two sons were to become stars.
In 1991 he played his last match against Luis Martínez. In 1995 he joined a few times for World Championship Wrestling ( WCW ) as a manager of his son Randy Savage. In the same year he was inducted into the WCW Hall of Fame.
In college, Angelo Poffo met his wife, Judy, whom he married on June 6, 1949. The two were married for more than sixty years, and had two sons, Randy and Lanny, who were both active as a wrestler. After Angelo Poffo had retired from wrestling, he worked as a sports teacher in Illinois.
On 4 March 2010 Angelo Poffo died at the age of 84 years.
Title and Awards
- Cauliflower Alley Club Other honoree (1996 )
- International Championship Wrestling ICW Television Championship ( 1x)
- NWA Chicago NWA United States Heavyweight Championship (Chicago version) ( 1x)
- NWA Detroit NWA World Tag Team Championship (Detroit version) ( 1x) - Lanny Poffo with
- Southwest Sports, Inc. NWA Texas Tag Team Championship ( 1x) - with Bronco Lubich
- World Championship Wrestling WCW Hall of Fame (Class of 1995)
- World Wrestling Association ( Indianapolis ) WWA World Tag Team Championship ( 3 times ) - with Chris Markoff (2x) and Nikolai Volkoff ( 1x)