Anguiano is a place and a municipality ( municipio ) in the southwest of the Autonomous Community of La Rioja in Spain with 545 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013). The place is also the administrative seat of the homonymous Comarca.
Anguiano is on a hill above the Río Najerilla in about 660 meters above sea level. inst. , the historically significant town of Nájera is located about 20 km ( driving distance ) north. The distance to the provincial capital Logroño is approximately 45 km in a north-easterly direction. The medieval monastery of San Millan de la Cogolla is approximately 20 km in a north-westerly direction away.
In the second half of the 19th and in the first half of the 20th century, the place always had 1500-1700 inhabitants. Due to the mechanization of agriculture and the resulting lower demand for labor, the population has declined significantly since the mid-20th century.
Anguiano was and is influenced to a large extent on agriculture. In earlier times, the place served as a craft and market center for a few - now mostly abandoned - small farmsteads and hamlets in the area. Since the mid-20th century, tourism (hiking and vacation rentals) plays a not unimportant role as a source of income for the community. The place belongs also to the wine region of Rioja Alta.
Anguiano is the first time under the name Anguidano in a document ( fuero ) of King Sancho III. (reigned 1000-1035 ) mentioned, in which the neighboring city of Nájera certain territorial and civil liberties will be awarded. In another mention from the year 1092 now always Anguiano place indicated grazing rights obtained on the territory of today belonging to the municipality of Klosters Valvanera. Then mention the medieval sources. In 1502, the city falls under the basic rule ( señorio ) of the monastery Valvanera.
- The parish church of San Andrés, a three-aisled and high, but somewhat clunky -looking building, dates from the 16th and 17th centuries. The main attraction inside is a vielfiguriger wooden altarpiece with rotated (, Solomon ') columns from the years 1672 to 1686.
- Some houses in the village still wear stone coats of arms.
- A 30 meter high and 12 meter wide single stone from the 18th century ( Puente Madre de Dios ) spans a gorge of the Río Najerilla and connects the two districts Mediavilla and Cuevas.
- The standing on a slope beneath a cliff and very valiant acting nave church of San Pedro de Cuevas was built in the 15th and 16th centuries. Inside it houses a Romanesque font and several baroque altarpiece.
- Also worth seeing is a wash-house ( lavadero ) from the 19th century with its own source.
- The one and a half kilometers outside the town of nave Ermita de Santa María Magdalena is an outwardly simple acting building from the 18th century. Its interior features a Baroque altarpiece.
- Right next to the hermitage is an intermittent source with an enclosure from the 17th century.
- About 17 kilometers to the north lies the monastery of Valvanera, which, according to the 11th century is said to have existed in the time of Visigoth Leovigild a document - this archaeological could not yet be confirmed. In the years 1072 and 1092 actuated the kings Sancho IV and Alfonso VI. rich foundations in favor of the monastery. Within the framework of expropriation of church property ( desamortisación ) the monastery in the 30s of the 19th century was disbanded, but since the end of the century, a small group of monks has been living behind the traditional walls. They represent a supposedly medically acting monastery liqueur ( Licor de Valvanera ) ago; also a guest house contributes to the financing of the monastery. The Gothic church building still in its original; large parts of the monastic buildings have been restored or replaced in the late 19th century.
House with escutcheon
Puente Madre de Dios
Ermita de Santa María Magdalena
Of regional significance, a dance is on short stilts ( danza de los zancos ), in which rock supporting young men turn in circles.