Angus ( Aonghas in Gaelic ) is since 1996 one of 32 Council Areas in Scotland. The area of Angus borders Aberdeenshire, Perth and Kinross and to the city of Dundee and the North Sea.
From 1975 to 1996 Angus formed a district of the Tayside region of Scotland. Angus is also a traditional county and as such includes the city of Dundee. The traditional county Angus was called Forfarshire until 1928 and is adjacent to the north- east Kincardineshire, Aberdeenshire in the north, Perthshire to the west and Fife in the south. Angus is now also one of the Lieutenancy Areas of Scotland.
Angus consists of three main geographical regions. In the north and west, the topography is mountainous. This area of the five Angus Glens, is sparsely populated and dominated by agriculture. In the south and east, the area has been inhabited hilly and densely. Here are the larger towns and the city of Dundee. Between these main regions is the Strathmore Valley, a fertile agricultural area, known for its Angus cattle.
- Bridge of Craigisla
- St Vigeans
- Stone sculptures of Aberlemno
- Angus Folk Museum in Glamis
- Arbroath Abbey ( here the Declaration of Arbroath was signed )
- Caledonian Railway ( heritage railway )
- Carnlochan Nature Reserve
- Edzell Castle
- Glamis Castle
- Loch of Kinnordy Nature Reserve
- Montrose Basin
The Council of Angus comprises 29 seats, distributed as follows to the parties:
Angus is in 8 constituencies ( "wards " ) split, in each of which three or four seats are allocated.