Anholt [ anhɔlʔd ] is a 22.37 km ² large Danish island in the Kattegat. On it, 169 people live (1 January 2013). About 20 km off the coast was until September 2013 built with the Anholt offshore wind farm the largest Danish offshore wind farm.
- 4.1 Tourism
- 4.2 Labour Market
Anholt forms a separate parish municipality (Danish: Sogn ) Anholt Sogn, the office belonged to the municipal reform 1970 Harde Djurs Nørre Herred in the former Randers, then to Grenaa municipality in the former Århus Amt, in turn, since the municipal reform 2007, part of Norddjurs community is in region Midtjylland.
Geology and vegetation
Anholt is located 50 km northeast of the city of East Jutland Grenå. The island is in the West from a 3 km ² moraine; here is the same place also. The highest dunes on the island are in Sønderbjerg ( dän: " South Mountain " ) has a height of 48 meters. The Nordbjerg is like the Sønderbjerg a plateau with a height of up to 39 meters. At Vester beach ( dän: "West beach " ) the Vesterklit connects the hills. From the west and south, the island is exposed to the sea and strong wind, this explains the steep coasts. The east is a flat beach ridge level. The island is divided by a flat area of the south east almost into two parts. It is the result of land uplift, which raised particularly strong Anholt. On the beach ridges are found small hollowed out by erosion ferruginous stones, which are known as " dwarf pots " in the vernacular. The to the 17th century with pine -covered island is today the largest contiguous lichen heath in Northern Europe and also " desert " called dunes and heathland. It extends to the lighthouse " Anholt Lighthouse " on the eastern tip over 10 km. The area is sparsely covered with beach grass, crowberry and plume apart from a few forest-like areas. This latest part of Anholt has - except the eastern tip ( Totten ) - Situated on the northwest coast Flakket, a flat foreshore with beach meadows. It was formed in the years after the construction of the port because it is here - have changed the flow and protection ratios - due to the moles. The area is a bird sanctuary and a nature reserve. The eastern tip of the island is under water as a 12 km long sandbar (East Reef ) away. This is a consequence of wind and current conditions at this point.
In the interior are overgrown with heather, crowberry heaths and grasses as well as gray and white dunes. In the south you will discover many bright-polished by the constant westerly wind sharp-edged stones, the so-called desert varnish. The lichen heath is the area of tough plants and animals, where the wind apparently can not touch. The stages of development of the crust to Laubflechte are here easily observed and the cups, lung and reindeer lichens are the main representatives. Of the 2237 acres of the island are 2067 acres of scenic and scientific interest due under protection.
According to King Waldemar basic book from the year 1231 the king had a house or a hunting lodge on the Sønderbjerg. Anholt was so good the crown.
1441 the island came under the administration of Kalø Lehn led by Otto Nielsen Rosenkrands.
1668 Anholt was sold to the customs manager Peder Jensen Grove; his widow married in 1674 Hans Rostgaard from Krogerup and since then the island is owned by that family.
Apart from the port, the city is the only populated point for the Anholt. Here also all social and cultural activities take place. Almost all the houses are very old; much is in timber and often also built from flotsam. Many of the houses have been extended over time, as new generations in the families took place.
The church is from 1819, after the previous one was destroyed during the occupation of the island by the British. Foundation remains are evidence of an even older church.
The school north of the meeting house was built in 1917 and expanded in 1956. The children are taught from the kindergarten class to 9th class in a three-class system. The old school building - built in 1843 - since 1983 the address of the tourist office of Anholt.
After several years of political negotiations and three years of construction from 1899-1902 Anholt got a fishing port, which served as a port of refuge for the Kattegat fishing and as a home port for fishing boats of Anholt. Also, the ferry to Grenaa is here.
The rescue home, built in 1919, is no longer used since 1938. A rescue boat engine today is constantly on one of the piers in the harbor basin. The first lifeboat station on Anholt was built in 1878 at the lighthouse, but is no longer in operation since 1926. In the last 200 years there have been over 200 shipwrecks before Anholt.
The Beacon beings began in 1561 with a royal order. At the beginning of the beacon was a so-called parrot fire.
1785 a 35 meter high tower was built with an open fire, this tower was in 1805 a lantern and was rebuilt in 1838 to mirror the fire. 1881 the present lighthouse was built and the fire turned into a lens fire. The lighthouse " Anholt Lighthouse " is a National Historic Landmark today. On the Ostebakke in the middle of the island there used to be a beacon, which is now gone.
Anholt is a popular destination among sailors, the island is the farthest island from the mainland of Denmark. The port is often crowded in summer. Likewise Anholt is known for a long, wide, clean and fine sand beach. In summer up to 6000 people inhabit the island. Most tourists come from Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Germany. The ferry takes Grenå from about three hours, with the driving of vehicles only for locals is possible. The island has a bicycle rental service and an airport close to the single place.
The labor market on Anholt differs from the usual fact that people often perform several jobs to achieve full-time employment. The letter carrier operates, for example, the Icecreme stand. If one disregards the tourism, there are on the island thirty different industries.