Annette Schavan ( born June 10, 1955 in Juechen, Circle Grevenbroich ) is a German politician (CDU) and Member of the German Bundestag. She was from 1995 to 2005 Minister of Culture, Youth and Sports of Baden- Württemberg from 2005 to 2013 and Federal Minister of Education and Research. From this office they occurred after the withdrawal of their doctoral degree back because of plagiarism. In February 2014, it took her nomination as ambassador of Germany to the Holy See.
- 2.1 Pro Reli
- 2.2 Nuclear Power
- 2.3 influx of foreign workers
- 5.1 Bibliography
- 5.2 Discography
Annette Schavan is Rhinelander. She grew up with two younger brothers up in a Roman catholic middle class family in Neuss. Her mother was a housewife and her father a clerk.
Education and work
Schavan put her Abitur in 1974 at the Nelly -Sachs -Gymnasium in Neuss from. She then studied twelve semester educational sciences, philosophy and Catholic theology at the universities of Bonn and Dusseldorf. She finished her studies in 1980 with an undergraduate degree of Dr. phil. Gerhard Wehle in Education at the Heinrich -Heine University in Dusseldorf. The title of her dissertation is interdisciplinary person and conscience - Studies on conditions, need and requirements of today's consciences.
Your career they started in 1980 immediately after graduating as a speaker at the Episcopal study Cusanuswerk. In 1984 she joined as Head of Department for non-formal education for Generalvikariat in Aachen. From 1987 to 1988, Schavan national director of the Women's Union. She then returned as managing director for Cusanuswerk, which she ran from 1991 to 1995.
Since the winter semester 2009/ 10, she is honorary professor of Catholic theology at the Free University of Berlin.
Schavan is a member of the Christian Democratic Union since 1972.
1987 brought Rita Süssmuth, then chairman of the Women's Union, Schavan as national director of the Women's Union to Bonn in the Konrad- Adenauer-Haus.
Since 1996 Schavan a member of the CDU regional director of Baden -Württemberg. From November 1998 to December 2012 Schavan was one of the deputy national chairman and member of the CDU Federal Board. Since December 2002 she directs the Commission to develop a new policy program for the CDU in Baden- Württemberg.
Schavan belonged to the nomination of IMF Director General Horst Köhler on 4 March 2004 on the possible candidate of the CDU and FDP for the candidacy for election of the President of Germany in 2004.
In August 2012, Schavan announced after 14 years at the CDU party leadership not to run for deputy CDU leader.
Schavan was from 1975 in local politics in Neuss politically active. From 1982 to 1984 she was a member of the city council. Their focus was on community education and environmental policy. Your self -image as a local politician she made in the sentence: " Local politics is not the lowest level of politics. Local politics is the foundation of political culture. "
Member of Parliament and Minister of Culture
From 2001 Schavan was a member of the Landtag of Baden- Württemberg.
From 1995 until its entry into the Bundestag on 5 October 2005 Schavan was Baden-Württemberg Minister of Culture, Youth and Sport. At the beginning of their term of office they took over reform projects of her predecessor Marianne Schultz -Hector, including the redesign of the transition from kindergarten to primary school. Schavan initiated the program starting school in new ways that stopped the trend towards later enrollment always really mature school children six years.
During their tenure, they conducted a comprehensive education reform plan: Earlier than in all other provinces subject clusters were created, restructured school hours and the transfer of skills rather than solely the expertise brought into focus.
Also, the teaching of foreign languages in primary schools was introduced in the school year 2001/ 02 started at 470 primary schools in the country and about 80 special schools with basic school level, the pilot phase of foreign languages in the primary school.
In addition Schavan put the controversial High School by after class 12 in Baden- Württemberg.
Wanting Following the announcement by Minister -President Erwin Teufel in October 2004, with effect from April 2005 both give up the Prime Minister's Office, and the Office of the CDU party chairman in Baden- Württemberg, Schavan filed their claims on both offices. However, in a survey of members of the CDU Baden-Württemberg, it reached only 39.4 % of the vote and withdrew her candidacy. Instead, the then parliamentary group chief Günther Oettinger took over both offices. Schavan remained another year in the Cabinet.
Schavan was in constituency 14 ( Bietigheim- Bissingen ) directly elected in the parliament. After she was elected as an MP in the Bundestag, she put on 30 September 2005 resigned from her seat in Parliament.
Member of the Bundestag and Federal Minister
Since 2005 Schavan is a member of the German Bundestag. They won in 2005 with 48.7 %, 2009 42.0 % (2009 ) and 2013 with 52.1 % of the primary vote the direct mandate in the Bundestag constituency Ulm.
On 22 November 2005 Schavan was appointed Federal Minister of Education and Research led by Chancellor Angela Merkel Federal Government.
In her tenure fall numerous reforms such as the High-Tech Strategy and the Excellence Initiative. The Higher Education Pact and the Pact for Research and Innovation were closed, founded the German Centers for Health Research, and in 2013 opened the Berlin Institute for Health Research.
Schavan was responsible for the increased international activities in research policy, the introduction of educational reporting of federal and state or the Framework Programme Human Development, to take account of the empirical turn in education policy.
Schavan 2012 was chairman of the Joint Science Conference in the year.
After withdrawing her doctorate she was replaced in her ministerial office by Johanna Wanka on 14 February 2013, and later a member of the Bundestag Committee for Development Cooperation.
On September 22, 2013, it was re-elected in the constituency of Ulm with a clear majority of 52.1 % in the 18th German Bundestag.
Schavan was 1994-2005 Vice-President of the Central Committee of German Catholics ( ZdK ). After her election to the German Bundestag they left office. She is also a member of the Central Committee.
Schavan was in September 2011 as the successor of Manfred Kock Chairman of the Trustees of the Foundation ecumenical Bible and culture. Its commitment they paraphrased as follows: " The Foundation Bible and Culture will seek in the coming years is to make especially young people curious about the Bible. " They further stated: "The Bible is rightly the Book of Books called [ ... ] you are orientation and deployed from the wealth of experience of man with God. It helps us to understand the foundations of our culture. "
From 2010 to 2011 Schavan was a representative of the federal Member of the ZDF Television Council.
Schavan to 14 February 2013 was a member of the Board of Trustees of the Deutsches Museum, Munich, Member of the Foundation Board of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Bonn, and the German Telekom Stiftung, Bonn. Besides, she was by this time a member of the Senate of the Max Planck Society, Munich, Member of the Board of Trustees of the Volkswagen Foundation, Hannover, as well as vice chairman of the Board of Science Foundation, Ernst Reuter, Berlin.
The Ludwig- Maximilians- University of Munich announced on September 23, 2013 announced that Schavan was included as an external member of their Board of Trustees. The appeal is to last until 2015.
Denial of the doctorate degree and withdrawal
With the reporting of the facts of the Judaic scholar Stefan Rohrbacher was commissioned. His confidential report, which the editors of the news magazine Der Spiegel was leaked, attested several places of the thesis " the characteristic picture of a plagiierenden Procedure ": " A conducting fraudulent intent is not just given the general pattern of the whole image, but also because of the specific characteristics of a significant. plurality of finding places to be stated " Schavan contradicted this accusation; you had no opportunity was given to take the report in its entirety inspected. The Initiative doctor father Gerhard Wehle said in an interview: "The work at that time corresponded to the absolute scientific standard ." One can not evaluate a doctoral thesis of 1980 after the today's standards.
On January 22, 2013, the Faculty Council of the Faculty of Arts dealt with the allegations and followed in his decision, which was carried out with 14 votes in favor, one abstention and no votes against, take the publicized in December recommendation of the Doctoral Committee, the main method of withdrawing. In an interview with Time magazine Schavan admitted " careless " one. For example, they have only now discovered that in the bibliography a source is mentioned twice, another for not. 33 years ago, there have been no technical possibilities to check a text again. It was only able to read for yourself exactly, and rely on the auditor. "I can not claim to have made careless for me. But I can claim to have not plagiarized or even deceived. "
On 5 February 2013, the Faculty introduced with 13 votes in favor and two abstentions the " offense of deliberate deception by plagiarism": "The accumulation and construction of this literal acquisitions, including the failure to mention literature titles in footnotes or even in the bibliography devoted to the conviction intellectual achievements of the Faculty Council by pretending the overall picture that the former doctoral student who systematically and deliberately spread over the entire dissertation, which she had not filed in reality itself. The replies of Schavan could not refute this. "With 12:2 votes, with one abstention, the Faculty Council declared the dissertation to the Initiative for invalid, and said the withdrawal of the PhD degree from. The long interval since the preparation of the work and the fact that Schavan in addition to its promotion over any other degree, were taken into account in this decision.
Schavan announced on the same day, on the other hand to raise legal challenge. On February 9, 2013 announced the German Chancellor Angela Merkel, to have accepted the resignation offered by Schavan on the eve of her ministerial office " a very heavy heart ." Schavan said: " I have neither written nor deceived in my dissertation. [ ... ] When a Minister of Research suing a university, then that is associated with stress for my ministry, for the Ministry, the federal government and the CDU. That's what I want to avoid; that will not do, the Office must not be damaged. "Their replacement by Johanna Wanka took the President before February 14, 2013.
On February 20, 2013 Schavan filed for annulment. The offer of the University to publish the documentation of the process, they refused.
In March 2013, a further accusation of plagiarism was raised on schavanplag. In the essay published in 2008, The question of God and the people have taken Schavan the extent of about a book page passages from an essay by the theologian Peter Walter, without marking them as quotes.
On 20 March 2014, the Administrative Court of Dusseldorf dismissed the action for annulment. The incumbent upon the faculty discretionary decision does not reveal any error of law. They worked from a true factual basis and have all the relevant conflicting public and private interests recognized comprehensive and balanced against each other. In contrast Schavan within one month after service of the complete judgment apply for leave to appeal, § 124a para 4 Code of Administrative Procedure.
Ambassador to the Holy See
On February 3, 2014, Schavan agreed to be German ambassador to the Holy See in Rome. The Forum German Catholics ranks in a statement this appeal as " an affront to the Catholic Church " a.
Schavan supported the failed April 2009 Berlin Pro Reli campaign. In a commentary for the Berliner Zeitung stated in December 2008, students would " have the freedom to choose whether they want to go into the ethics or religious instruction ." Religion belongs " in the midst of society ." Children and young people have a right "that they learn what people are pinning their hopes for over two thousand years."
Schavan has long been a proponent of nuclear power. In 2000, the Red-Green Cabinet Schröder I had decided on a nuclear phase-out; Mid-2008 announced Schavan that drive nuclear research and provide further in the following years for this 45 million euro to want to consistently develop and improve the training of young nuclear scientists promotion. A run-time extension of German nuclear power plants has been an issue, with the CDU / CSU and FDP of the SPD and the Greens deposed during the election campaign before the 2009 federal election. After a series of incidents in German nuclear power plants Schavan affirmed eight weeks before the election their position: Approximately two weeks "Who wants Germany to the power supply has a reasonable prospect that nuclear power should not demonize. " Before the election was announced that Schavan a given of their ministry report commissioned for the new construction of additional nuclear power plants had retained a long time. In this about a hundred researchers had to build new nuclear power plants in Germany and the search for sites other than Gorleben recommended as a nuclear repository.
Influx of foreign workers
In 2007 Schavan pushed an initiative to facilitate the influx of foreign workers. She suggested the limit allowed to work in Germany from the foreign professionals to reduce from 85,000 to 60,000 euros. Referring to the then-current migration report by the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development ( OECD), she explained in this context: "Even if all are well educated and trained in Germany, it also needs skilled workers from elsewhere. "
- Cabinet Devil II - Cabinet Devil III - Cabinet devil IV - Cabinet Oettinger I
- Cabinet Merkel I - Cabinet Merkel II
- 2002: Order of an officer of the Legion of Honor
- 2002: Heinrich -Brauns Prize
- 2003: Federal Cross of Merit
- 2005: Honorary Award of the Upper Rhine higher price Prix Bartholdi
- 2007: Medal of Merit of the State of Baden -Württemberg
- 2007: Winfried Prize of the City of Fulda
- 2009: Honorary doctorate from the University of Cairo. End of February 2013 announced the dean of the faculty concerned on the request to withdraw Schavan the honorary doctorate of the University of Cairo.
- 2010: Honorary Doctorate of Tongji University
- 2011: Honorary doctorate from the Meiji University
- 2011: Honorary doctorate from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- 2012: Honorary doctorate from the University of Lübeck. The transfer of the award document has been moved by a decision of the Senate to "a later, agreed with Mrs. Schavan time ".
- 2013: Abraham Geiger Prize of the Abraham Geiger College at the University of Potsdam
- Bernhard Welte (eds.): Person and responsibility. For the meaning and justification of personhood. Patmos -Verlag, Dusseldorf 1980, ISBN 3-491-77381-4.
- Person and conscience. Studies on conditions, need and requirements of today's consciences. R. G. Fischer, Frankfurt 1980, ISBN 3-88323-220-3
- God is light. Einhard, Aachen, 1986, ISBN 3-920284-17-8.
- (Eds.): Dialogue instead of refusal of dialogue. Impetus for a sustainable church. Butzon and Bercker, Kevelaer 1994, ISBN 3-7666-9887-7.
- School of the Future. Educational perspectives for the 21st century ( = Herder spectrum. 4611 ). Herder, Freiburg (Breisgau ) and Others 1998, ISBN 3-451-04611-3.
- With Stefanie Aurelia Spendel (ed.): The time in which you hold hands. Talking about a future with God. Don Bosco, Munich 2000, ISBN 3-7698-1217-4.
- Education - way to knowledge, judgment and independence. Presentation of the Minister of Culture, Youth and Sport of the State of Baden- Württemberg Annette Schavan at the inauguration of the academic year at the Albert- Ludwigs- University of Freiburg, on 18 October 2000 ( = University of Freiburg speeches. Vol. 2). Rombach, Freiburg (Breisgau ), 2001, ISBN 3-7930-9293-3.
- (Ed.): Schools in Baden- Württemberg. Modern and historic buildings between the Rhine, Neckar and Lake Constance. Hohenheim, Stuttgart, inter alia, 2001, ISBN 3-89850-050-0.
- "Education - current challenges for business and society ." Speech by the Minister of Education of the State of Baden- Württemberg to the annual reception of the IHK Münster on 14 January 2002 ( = Industry and Commerce Northern Westphalia. IHK Series. Issue 109). Chamber of Commerce, Münster 2002, ISBN 3-936876-01-0.
- The Spirit blows where it wills. Christian witness in the Church and world. Swabia Verlag, Ostfildern 2002, ISBN 3-7966-1086-2.
- What school do we want? PISA and the consequences ( = Herder spectrum 5308). Herder, Freiburg (Breisgau ) and Others 2002, ISBN 3- 451-05308 -X.
- (Ed.): Education. Perspectives on the lives of children and adolescents ( = Edition Suhrkamp. 2329 ). Suhrkamp, Suhrkamp, Frankfurt am Main 2004, ISBN 3-518-12329-7.
- (Ed.): Life from God's power. Food for thought. Swabia Verlag, Ostfildern 2004, ISBN 3-7966-1149-4.
- (Ed. ): No science in itself. Essays on the social relevance of research. Körber Foundation, Hamburg 2008, ISBN 978-3-89684-124-7.
- God is bigger than we think. Visions for the church and world. St. Benno, Leipzig 2010, ISBN 978-3-7462-2909-6.
- Praise him for the sake of His World: Songs of synagogues - Selected Psalms. Ebs Recording (grade 1 music distributor ), 2006.
- They followed the star - Annette Schavan reads Christmas lyrics framed by festive music with Siegfried Gmeiner at the organ. SCM Hänssler, September 2010.