Anomabu (also Anomabo or Annamaboe called ) is a place of about 6000 inhabitants in Mfantsiman District of Central Region of Ghana. The place is located in the settlement area of the Fanti and is the center of a "traditional area" (ie the territory of a traditional ruler ), which comprises about 60 villages.
In the 17th and 18th centuries, European powers competed to a trading post in the seaside town of the so-called Gold Coast, so as to obtain access to a rich hinterland. In addition, the residents Anomabus were themselves powerful and successful traders. The Dutch built in 1630 as the first of earthwork here a later fortified trading post, the more times changed owners ( Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Dutch again, then British, and finally abandoned). From 1674 the British built Fort (Fort Charles), which has also been abandoned for a time, but later expanded significantly. Between 1744 and 1753, the French also had a branch here. 1753 but they were driven out by the locals. It was the English fort, which changed the name to Fort William. In the 18th century Anomabu became one of the centers of the slave trade on the Gold Coast. Today, Fort William and are the so-called "little fort" tourist attractions.
Sons and daughters of the town
- William Ansah Sessarakoo, (* probably 1736-1749 ), became known as "The African Prince " fame in the 18th century London, author of an autobiography
- James Emamanuel Kwegyr Aggrey, (1875 - 1927), educator and co-founder of Achimota College