Antirrio ( Greek: Αντίρριο (n. sg ), Ancient Greek / Katharevousa: . Antirrhion, Latin: Antirrhium ) is a western Greek port city on the Gulf of Corinth. The name means: "Compared to Rio " Since the administrative reform of 2010, she ( Dimotiki Enotita Andirriou Δημοτική Ενότητα Αντιρρίου ) is a district of the municipality of Nafpaktia. The village is situated on a promontory that marks the boundary between the Gulf of Patras in the west and the Gulf of Corinth in the east. Since 2004, the Rio - Antirrio bridge (Greek Γέφυρα Ρίου - Αντιρρίου · Géfyra Riou - Andirriou or Γέφυρα Χαρίλαος Τρικούπης · Charilaos Trikoupis Bridge ) connects the western mainland Greece with the Peloponnese. Antirrio is now up to the 5/E55 highway with a link to GR-48/E65 ( Amfissa - Antirrio ). Antirrio located approximately 10 kilometers east-northeast of Patras, about 209 km west of Athens and northwest of Egio, west-southwest of Amfissa, southwest of Nafpaktos, east of Messolonghi and SE of Agrinio.
2001 the municipality had 2375 inhabitants. It consists of the following places:
- Antirrio · Δ.δ.Αντιρρίου
- Makynia · Δ.δ. Μακυνείας
- Molykrio · Δ.δ. Μολυκρείου
There is a primary school, a high school, church, post office and a beach on site. The building stretches along the coast and the main road. The environment consists primarily of agricultural land and forest in the northwest. Since 1960 there has been a ferry service between the Peloponnese and the mainland. Since the opening of the Rio Antirrio bridge this service is only rarely used, especially of vehicles that are not allowed on the bridge. Northwest of the city extends the pyramidal Paliovouna. Its summit rises to 1,038 m.
In ancient times the city Molikrion Rhion ( Μολύκριον Ρίον ) was called by the City Molukria ( Μολύκρεια / Μολυκρία ). Close by are the ruins of the city Makyneia. Under Turkish rule the place was called due to the strait as "Little Dardanelles " ( Μικρά Δαρδανέλια ).
The city was of strategic importance because of its location. Therefore, there is still a lighthouse ( 1880 ) with 9.5 m height and the fortress. This was built after the destruction of Nafpaktos ( August 29, 1499 ) of Bayezid II. 1532 was razed by Andrea Doria, the leader of the United Christian troops. 1669 was renewed by Francesco Morosini, but destroyed again after the Peace of Karlowitz and built by the Turks again.