As antistatic agents are substances which, added as an additive to prevent or mitigate the static objects.
- Singular: antistatic agent.
- Synonym: antistatic materials.
Antistatic agents are used to prevent the unwanted effects of electrostatic charges caused by mechanical friction. Thus, electrostatic charging lead to unwanted attraction or repulsion effects, or sudden electrical discharges. Concrete examples would be the avoidance of dust attraction, "standing" of hair or the inflammation of explosive mixtures by spark discharge. Especially materials with a high electrical resistance are affected by such electrostatic effects and therefore must often be provided with an antistatic treatment.
- Interior, or internal antistatic agents are incorporated into the material to be protected.
- Exterior, or external antistatic agents are applied to the objects to be protected.
- Conductive antistatic agents can be deposited externally, for example as metallic wires, is working internally, or metal powder.
- Non-conductive antistatic agents are, for example, quaternary ammonium compounds (cf. Polyquaternium ). This can be used as internal or external antistatic agents for use again.
The electrostatic charging reduce antistatic agents either by:
- Improved dissipation of excess electric charges, ie: a lower ohmic resistance or
- Reduction of friction.