Life and work
Abboni came from the village Grosio, between Bormio and Tirano in the Valtellina.
The earliest documents about him dating back to 1505, when he was together with Giorgio Spavento appointed as a senior architect in the reconstruction of the Fondaco dei Tedeschi, who had been destroyed by fire. 1508 the construction was completed, and Titian and Giorgione could start with the outside paint. Also in 1505 he was commissioned to design and construction of the church of San Sebastiano in Venice.
On January 10, 1514, a fire broke out at the Rialto, where the entire neighborhood was destroyed, including many shops and craft shops as well as one of the oldest churches in Venice, San Giovanni Elemosinario. San Giovanni E. was under the special patronage of the Doges, and every year was a target of the magnificent Dogenprozessionen. The Senate of the Republic commissioned after Scarpagnino with the construction of the market district and the church. Scarpagnino turned his attention primarily to the fact to build the market halls clear and all the rules of safety with large archways. Also the main portal of the church fits into this sheet structure. San Giovanni Elemosinario was built in the old basic form, but in the new Renaissance style and completed in 1531 under the reign of Doge Andrea Gritti. Located on the Rialto Palazzo dei Dieci Savi had also been destroyed by fire, was rebuilt under his direction and could be 1521 based. This building was a model for the following administrative buildings of the district.
He was also involved in the construction of the San Faustino church, which was completed after his death by Jacopo Sansovino. In 1520 he was employed with Francesco Lurano on the restoration of the Ponte Pietra, Verona.
From 1527 to 1549 was Scarpagnino site manager of the Scuola Grande di San Rocco, for which he built the impressive new staircase 1544-1546. The staircase is a separate component, in which the construction tasks gate, staircase and dome are connected to form a harmonious whole. The two vaulted with tons staircases meet on a common platform from which executes a single broad staircase to the upper hall. From the intermediate platform made the walls extend to the floor level of the upper hall. A Pendentifkuppel arched over the final podium, from which one enters the hall. As the Scala d'Oro in the Ducal Palace carry all structural members reliefs with figurative or ornamental decor.
Other buildings in Venice, where Scarpagnino was involved, such as the Palazzo Contarini dalle figure, probably the 1505 Spavento had begun, but was only completed in 1546 under Scarpagnino.
Since 1527 he was a member of the Brotherhood of the Scuola Grande di San Marco. For the altar in the Great Hall of the Scuola he put forth a model.
In his will, dated July 27, 1548, he bequeathed his house in Venice and a house with land in Zianigo his wife and his son Giambattista Orsa. The rest of the assets inherited by his son Marco, called Scapellino ( = the Meißelchen ), who was also a builder and with whom he often collaborated.