( Listen? / I ) appingedam is a municipality and a small city in the Netherlands, Groningen province. Appingedam has an area of ​​about 25 km ² and had on 1 January 2013 with a population of 12.019.

Location and economic

The city lies a few kilometers southwest of Delfzijl on the railway Groningen- Delfzijl and the highway between the city of Groningen and Delfzijl. It lies on the channel Damsterdiep which is more like a stream because of the many curves and can be used only by small boats.

Appingedam has a lot of small businesses. The quaint little downtown attracts more and more tourists. Many residents are commuters who work in Delfzijl. The Town Hall is located since 1995 in a big old school building ( HBS; corresponded earlier about a secondary school in Germany ).

Since September 1989, the East Frisian town of Aurich twinned Appingedams.


Appingedam has always been the capital of the Gaus Fivelingo who has always tried to maintain its independence from Groningen. The city existed probably before the year 800, but only received its town charter in 1327. This was set out in a document that has been preserved: the so-called " Buurbrief van de Upstalboom ". This points to a strong influence of East Friesland.

In the 14th century the city suffered an economic setback: Water necessity is the construction of a sea lock ( zijl, German: Siel ) east of the city needed. Delfzijl: There is a new port city developed. Even the staple right, held the Groningen itself, contributed to the decline of Appingedam. To this end, the city fathers understood the strange art to choose in wars and conflicts always the wrong ( losing ) side. This led, inter alia, by 1500 forced the demolition of the city walls.

It was not until the 19th century came the shipping to greater flowering, and a railroad on the route Groningen - Appingedam - was created Delfzijl, the situation improved. Among other things, a well-known throughout the Netherlands factory of marine engines ( company Brons ) moved itself.


  • The " hanging kitchens ' extensions behind the old houses, which are located above the Damsterdiep
  • The local museum
  • The old church in downtown