Arcos de la Llana
Arcos de la Llana is a municipality ( municipio ) with 1460 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013) in the province of Burgos in the northern Spanish Autonomous Region of Castile -Leon.
Arcos de la Llana is located on the Río Ausin in the Castilian plateau ( meseta ) at a height of about 850 meters above sea level. inst and is about ten kilometers ( route ) to the southwest of the city of Burgos. The neighboring Villariezo is only about two miles northwest.
In the second half of the 19th and in the first half of the 20th century, the population fluctuated constantly between about 550 and 650 inhabitants. After the mechanization of agriculture led to a migration of part of the population in the cities. Due to the proximity to Burgos and the relatively low land prices, the population has increased significantly since the turn of the millennium.
The region is significantly influenced by agriculture for centuries, with an emphasis on the cultivation of trees of all kinds, which were ultimately planted throughout central Spain.
Traces from Roman times to refer to the existence of a settlement. From the time of the migration no remains have been found so far. During the period of Islamic encroachment depopulated the area and was repopulated only in the 10th and 11th centuries ( repoblación ). The first written mention of Arcos ' dates from the year 957 On December 9, 1078 transferred Alfonso VI. the basic rule ( señorio ) about the place at the nearby monastery of San Pedro de Cardena, but already in 1128 the Archdiocese of Burgos became sole lord of Arcos.
In 1507 Johanna the Mad bored with entrained in a coffin bones of her husband Philip I in the city that rose to Burgos the second most important in the region. Several aristocratic landowners built their palaces here, but is this - do not get much - except for a few stone coats of arms ( escudos ). With the dissolution of the Spanish church property ( desamortisación ) in the 1830s, the Episcopal basic rule ended over the city.
- The St. Michael the Archangel parish church (Iglesia de San Miguel Arcángel ) has an impressive and by a variety of arcade arches visually and statically loosened tower in the Mudejar style, which is walled in its upper part made of bricks; of joined more or less precisely hewn stone - - its lower part dates back to the Middle Ages. Also, the actual church building with its old south portal is Romanesque in its floor plan, but the medieval buildings were presented with a framed in a strict Baroque style western portal in 1657, which can be described as classicist already basically. The three-nave interior of the church has also been revised at this time - gothic -looking columns end in stellar vaults with hanging keystones. The central apse and the flat ends of the two side aisles were equipped with huge altarpieces.
- The Torreón de los Gallos called and almost ruined building is located just outside of Arcos; it originates primarily from the early 16th century, the powerful and almost windowless corner tower ( torre de homenaje ) could have been created in the Middle Ages and integrated into the newly built palace.
- From the late medieval city walls three goals and some short sections are still preserved.
- Several houses in the town center are decorated with stone coats of arms, but mostly are in a poor state of preservation.
- An arched stone bridge leads over the Río Ausín. She also served as the wandering sheep safe crossing.